Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vindonissa Pompei Blade
Does anyone have the exact dimensions of this blade?

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p309 ... ure334.jpg
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:Katalog der Militaria aus Vindonissa
by Christopher Unz and Eckhard Deschler-Erb

A large inventory of military equipment found at the large legionary fort at Vindonissa up to 1976, with a substantial section of illustrations showing many of the same type of artefact - eg spearheads or horse equipment - which gives a useful overview. 96p of text, 86p of b/w illus (Gesellschaft Pro Vindonissa 1997)

I believe the measurements are in here: I gave them to Mark Morrow to make my Vindonissa blade.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
My catalog is missing in action :wink: thats why I asked here.

a.k.a. Paul M.
3.8cm x 64cm (about 20cm of that is tang) Paul :wink:
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
From Miks - total length 640mm, blade 442mm, tang 198mm, width 39mm
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Thank you gentlemen!

a.k.a. Paul M.
Ahh, could someone please also give thickness of the blade and whether it is diamond shaped in cross section or rounded?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Robert,

I have looked at this blade in person a few times, and I believe it to be a flattend diamond shape.

a.k.a. Paul M.
Yes, it is diamond shaped, and judging by the scale, it is about 7mm in the mid cross-section
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Hi Paul,

Thanks, any idea on the thickness of the blade at the thickest part? The width at only 39 mm seems so slender, I thought blades were more like 50 mm. Could material have been lost through corrosion?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Quote:Hi Paul,

Thanks, any idea on the thickness of the blade at the thickest part? The width at only 39 mm seems so slender, I thought blades were more like 50 mm. Could material have been lost through corrosion?

Often people have this wrong preconception. A lot of the pompei blades were in fact very gracile. There's an interesting article in the Exercitus newsletter by the Ermine Street Guard. I believe it's titled: "Are our gladii too wide?".

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:Often people have this wrong preconception. A lot of the pompei blades were in fact very gracile.

And the same goes for the pugio.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thanks for the input, Jef. I have seen the article, it made interesting reading, but at a thickness of 7 mm wouldn't it make the blade a rather steep diamondshape, making it harder to sharpen the edge (but then, it was more a thrusting weapon, I suppose). i agree with Jurjen on the pugio, but believe this is mainly true for the first century ones I have seen. I believe a lot of re-enactors carry the wrong type of pugio with their 1 st cent. impression, often republican or late 2 de cent. wide meatcleavers. I am still hoping for Crispivs to do an article in AW with a well researched pugio timeline.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Quote:
Marcus Mummius:1462fqil Wrote:Often people have this wrong preconception. A lot of the pompei blades were in fact very gracile.

And the same goes for the pugio.

And for umbones, the lorica segmentata, etc... Most replica's are bigger and heavier than the original pieces.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:Most replica's are bigger and heavier than the original pieces.

Vale,

So are the re-enactors :wink: especially heavier!

a.k.a. Paul M.