RomanArmyTalk
Vindonissa Pompei Blade - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Vindonissa Pompei Blade (/showthread.php?tid=11758)

Pages: 1 2 3

Vindonissa Pompei Blade - Primvs Pavlvs - 02-11-2008

Does anyone have the exact dimensions of this blade?

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p309 ... ure334.jpg

Re: Vindonissa Pompei Blade - richsc - 02-12-2008

Quote:Katalog der Militaria aus Vindonissa
by Christopher Unz and Eckhard Deschler-Erb

A large inventory of military equipment found at the large legionary fort at Vindonissa up to 1976, with a substantial section of illustrations showing many of the same type of artefact - eg spearheads or horse equipment - which gives a useful overview. 96p of text, 86p of b/w illus (Gesellschaft Pro Vindonissa 1997)

I believe the measurements are in here: I gave them to Mark Morrow to make my Vindonissa blade.

Re: Vindonissa Pompei Blade - Primvs Pavlvs - 02-12-2008

My catalog is missing in action :wink: thats why I asked here.

Re: Vindonissa Pompei Blade - Matt Lukes - 02-12-2008

3.8cm x 64cm (about 20cm of that is tang) Paul :wink:

Re: Vindonissa Pompei Blade - M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER - 02-12-2008

From Miks - total length 640mm, blade 442mm, tang 198mm, width 39mm

Thank you gentlemen!

Re: Vindonissa Pompei Blade - Robert - 02-12-2008

Ahh, could someone please also give thickness of the blade and whether it is diamond shaped in cross section or rounded?

Robert,

I have looked at this blade in person a few times, and I believe it to be a flattend diamond shape.

Re: Vindonissa Pompei Blade - M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER - 02-12-2008

Yes, it is diamond shaped, and judging by the scale, it is about 7mm in the mid cross-section

Hi Paul,

Thanks, any idea on the thickness of the blade at the thickest part? The width at only 39 mm seems so slender, I thought blades were more like 50 mm. Could material have been lost through corrosion?

Re: Vindonissa Pompei Blade - Marcus Mummius - 02-12-2008

Quote:Hi Paul,

Thanks, any idea on the thickness of the blade at the thickest part? The width at only 39 mm seems so slender, I thought blades were more like 50 mm. Could material have been lost through corrosion?

Often people have this wrong preconception. A lot of the pompei blades were in fact very gracile. There's an interesting article in the Exercitus newsletter by the Ermine Street Guard. I believe it's titled: "Are our gladii too wide?".

Vale,

Re: Vindonissa Pompei Blade - jvrjenivs - 02-12-2008

Quote:Often people have this wrong preconception. A lot of the pompei blades were in fact very gracile.

And the same goes for the pugio.

Thanks for the input, Jef. I have seen the article, it made interesting reading, but at a thickness of 7 mm wouldn't it make the blade a rather steep diamondshape, making it harder to sharpen the edge (but then, it was more a thrusting weapon, I suppose). i agree with Jurjen on the pugio, but believe this is mainly true for the first century ones I have seen. I believe a lot of re-enactors carry the wrong type of pugio with their 1 st cent. impression, often republican or late 2 de cent. wide meatcleavers. I am still hoping for Crispivs to do an article in AW with a well researched pugio timeline.

Re: Vindonissa Pompei Blade - Marcus Mummius - 02-12-2008

Quote:
Marcus Mummius:1462fqil Wrote:Often people have this wrong preconception. A lot of the pompei blades were in fact very gracile.

And the same goes for the pugio.

And for umbones, the lorica segmentata, etc... Most replica's are bigger and heavier than the original pieces.

Vale,

Quote:Most replica's are bigger and heavier than the original pieces.

Vale,

So are the re-enactors :wink: especially heavier!