Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lorica top shoulder plates
Which was?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Keeps more protection and a glancing surface when the arm is lowered. It's not my idea, but one been put forward for a long time.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I suppose it is a possibility. I suppose we can come up with a theory for every thing. Now that you have me thinking on those lines, I can imagine the 'points-out' could create a glancing away effect too....
Not trying to be argumentative, just the way my imagination goes!
(can't do any smillies for some reason, so you will have to take my word LOL)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I suppose it is a possibility. I suppose we can come up with a theory for every thing. Now that you have me thinking on those lines, I can imagine the 'points-out' could create a glancing away effect too....
Not trying to be argumentative, just the way my imagination goes!
(can't do any smillies for some reason, so you will have to take my word LOL)
When the arms and shoulders are lowered, the point creates additional cover close to the neck, hanging in a near vertical line when looked at straight on. It's a bit more than just one of those theories IMHO, but a designed development and improvement over the A type :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
A feasible posibility, like I said, which is all I can really say.
Some would argue that as a last line of defense, the point would be moot!LOL

I often wonder why they left the hanging/attaching tabs as extensions, rather than piercing the armour as mine does. These bronze tabs would be prone to a lot of stress, and totally mess up your day if and when they snapped. But thats going down another road.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
We don't see a lot of broken hooks or eyelets among the population of artifacts, and they weren't exactly thin or weak- and there is an example of the holes being pierced through the armor plate- the back of Cuirass 5.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
I didn't think they were, but all the reconstructions I have seen are a bit thin.
They would probably not break in the convenient confines of the fort or camp, so possibly if they were breaking, it would be in the field or road?
Hence a reason for a sparcity of finds?

I realise there were back plates with that construction. the guy who made mine suggested if i wanted a sturdier design he would do it for the front plates as well. I am happy enough it won't fall apart too soon. Big Grin lol:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica Segmentata shoulder width FlexBravo 5 2,022 03-24-2009, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Magnus
  Lorica Segmentata Girdle Plates problem Grumio 56 9,421 03-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Last Post: marsvigilia