Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman artifacts from Crimea
Is it from the montfortinos?
I agree about the guards should be a bit curved, not that I am an expert, but the flat ones are a bit naff.
Are those style guards not also found on coolus types as well?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
If I read the text correctly, it doesn´t say that those cheek pieces are in fact from Montefortino type helmets. It says that 2 cheek pieces and other parts from coolus helmets were found, and many fragments of a bronze Montefortino, no?
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
I edited my post recently Christian :wink:

Quote:Nice to see them associated with Gallic A and Port bei Nidau type cheek guards for a change!! What a find! Assuming of course that they are from the same deposition layer!

Byron Wrote...
Quote:Are those style guards not also found on coolus types as well?

Yes they are, but not with the same design exactly. The Coolus cheek guards from Schaan and Xanten mimic the shape but have no raised cusps or flanges. They are just slightly dished.
Any ideas on dates and contexts (i.e. Bosporan, Sarmatian, late Scythian) for these items?
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
It says from the last 3rd of the 1st C BC to the middle of first C ADin the article at the top of the post, my eyes are finding it hard to read it too closely, so there may be more dates in there when I can find the patience to strain through it again! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Actually, the cheek guards do not have to be of the Montefortino type. The article expresses opinions that they could be of the Coolus or Gallic type.

Quote:Any ideas on dates and contexts (i.e. Bosporan, Sarmatian, late Scythian) for these items?

The sanctuary functioned from the 7th c. BCE and to the end of the late antiquity, so probably all of the above - Tavrs, late Scythians, Sarmatians...The area of 2000 square meters was virtually overcrowded with thousands of the artifacts belonging to different periods and mixed together in a shallow layer of 3-20 cm deep over the centuries of the sanctuary's existence. Thus, the dating of the artifacts was difficult. Nevertheless, the archaeologists suggested four main periods - late 2nd - early 1st c. BCE; second half, especially the later decades of the 1st c. BCE; the 40s of the 1st c. CE; late 1st-early 2nd c. CE.

You may also find interesting the following article - "New Data on Details of Roman Military Equipment and Horse's Harness from Chersonesos and its Environs", available from here - scroll down, click "Free," and follow the instructions.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Thanks very much for the link, this is a treasure trove to be sure!!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:It says from the last 3rd of the 1st C BC to the middle of first C ADin the article at the top of the post, my eyes are finding it hard to read it too closely, so there may be more dates in there when I can find the patience to strain through it again! 8)

Sorry, my mistake- I missed the first post :oops: . It's really interesting to see that the median spine with barley-corn boss was maintained on scuta among these finds even though these features were largely dropped in favour of the round boss with no spine among both Roman and Bosporan soldiers at this time.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
What is Item #5 in Picture 5?
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
In text it says it´s a metal spina fitting perfectly to he umbo.
Interesting that it is hollow, not full.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:More belt parts: 1, 3 - brass, 2- silver, 4 - silvered brass.

http://www.hr-replikate.de/englisch/index.html

See item 513 in this link Holger's work and No. 4 in the drawing

Are these a soldiers brooch?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:The sanctuary functioned from the 7th c. BCE and to the end of the late antiquity, so probably all of the above - Tavrs, late Scythians, Sarmatians...The area of 2000 square meters was virtually overcrowded with thousands of the artifacts belonging to different periods and mixed together in a shallow layer of 3-20 cm deep over the centuries of the sanctuary's existence. Thus, the dating of the artifacts was difficult. Nevertheless, the archaeologists suggested four main periods - late 2nd - early 1st c. BCE; second half, especially the later decades of the 1st c. BCE; the 40s of the 1st c. CE; late 1st-early 2nd c. CE.

The reason I'm wary is because Montefortino and late Celtic helmets are quite commonly found in Sarmatian graves from the 2nd c. BC until the 1st c. AD or so, which would potentially muddy these results, but the presence of Roman swords makes it seem much more likely that these items are of Roman provenance.

Quote:In text it says it´s a metal spina fitting perfectly to he umbo.

It's just a metal reinforcement for the boss, not the boss itself. It would have been applied to the actual wooden boss. These metal reinforcements were never "full," because they would have been incredibly expensive and impractically heavy.
Ruben

Quote:
Quote:In text it says it´s a metal spina fitting perfectly to he umbo.

It's just a metal reinforcement for the boss, not the boss itself. It would have been applied to the actual wooden boss. These metal reinforcements were never "full," because they would have been incredibly expensive and impractically heavy.
I think he was referring to the long horizontal piece at the bottom of that drawing (#5) which wasn't given a specific description to that number? It looks to be 36cm long anyway.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
That looks to be the re-inforcement for a spina tho jim.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:That look to be the re-inforcement for a spina tho jim.
It might. I wasn't saying it wasn't.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Research of Roman road infrastructure in Crimea through living history using Roman me Evgeny 1 133 01-19-2024, 07:31 AM
Last Post: kavan
  Forts / cities in the Crimea Epictetus 16 3,933 01-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Pictures of Roman artifacts in museum het Valkhof Batavian 2 1,816 11-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Last Post: Batavian