RomanArmyTalk
Roman artifacts from Crimea - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Roman artifacts from Crimea (/showthread.php?tid=11478)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Roman artifacts from Crimea - M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER - 01-11-2008

I obtained an article published in Russian in Journal of Ancient history, Moscow, 1998. Here is the abstract in English:

Re: Roman artifacts from Crimea - Peroni - 01-11-2008

Any drawings or photos of the military finds Alex?

Re: Roman artifacts from Crimea - M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER - 01-11-2008

Here are the parts of the Mainz gladii and a signum. 1, 7 - silvered brass, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9 - brass; 2, 5 - iron. The signum crescent had an omega shaped attachment piece soldered to it.

Wait, it will be several more posts Smile

Here are the umbones and pieces of the scuta rims. 1 - silvered brass, 37 cm in length, with a matching 36 cm silvered spine rod also found, 2 - brass, 3, 4 - iron. The umbo #2 was bent in half.

Here are the brass cheeckguards, pieces of brass Montefortino type helmets, carrying helmet handle, and spures (1 - iron, 2 - brass).

Re: Roman artifacts from Crimea - Tarbicus - 01-11-2008

Quote:Here are the umbones and pieces of the scuta rims. 1 - silvered brass, 37 cm in length, with a matching 36 cm silvered spine rod also found,
Oh you lovely man!! Laudes!

What's really interesting about the second Montefortino cheek piece is how the pin seems to have a curving doo-dah so it can be easily pulled out. Maybe...

Here are some fibulae:

Here are some belt (and some other?) parts: 1 - silver, glass; 2 - brass, 3-5 - silver.

Re: Roman artifacts from Crimea - Marcus Mummius - 01-11-2008

Quote:
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER:2ku83t3k Wrote:Here are the umbones and pieces of the scuta rims. 1 - silvered brass, 37 cm in length, with a matching 36 cm silvered spine rod also found,
Oh you lovely man!! Laudes!

What's really interesting about the second Montefortino cheek piece is how the pin seems to have a curving doo-dah so it can be easily pulled out. Maybe...

It's also easier and faster to bend the pin than peening it.

Vale,

More belt parts: 1, 3 - brass, 2- silver, 4 - silvered brass.

Here is a brass belt buckle featuring Pan sleeping at the wineskin by the tipped over wine cup.

Finally, some iron projectile pieces.

Laudes from me too!

Montefortino helmets eh?

Nice to see them associated with Gallic A and Port bei Nidau type cheek guards for a change!! What a find! Assuming of course that they are from the same deposition layer!

Hmm I can see my Deepeeka Montefortino getting brass Gallic A cheek guards! What a nice sounding helmet!

Re: Roman artifacts from Crimea - Gaius Julius Caesar - 01-11-2008

The second cheek piece seem to be curved too, they look intriguing....

Curved or possibly damaged. They should have a little curve to them.

I'm just thrilled to see another complete example of an Augustan period Gallic A type cheek guard!! In brass too! Big Grin