Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coordinators, editors, moderators and contributors wanted!
Quote:
sonic:1yf89bxp Wrote:This would be especially useful in linking earlier terms with their later equivalent. For example, the earlier 'testudo' formation had its later equivalent in the 'fulcum', but most people I've spoken to believe that the 'testudo' went out of use sometime in the third-fourth centuries!!

The fulcum is to be compared to the testudo, but not the same. The fulcum is never advocated in siege use, while in both forms in which it occurs, it's a battlefield formation. So you might say that the testudo (a mobile formation in which a smaller number of men is covered by scuta on front, top and both sides), does not survive as a formation after the 3td c. or so?

I didn't say exact replica/continuation, but equivalent! :lol: Yet, even these two posts suggest the need for such a database, since 'exact' definition/clarification could be possible and act as a spur to further discussion etc.
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II

Messages In This Thread
Re: Coordinators, editors, moderators and contributors wanted! - by sonic - 01-18-2008, 03:48 PM