Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horse hair crests
Thanks Andy!

I use 150 holes at 1/4" daimeter for my standard crests, so yes, there is more hair. I have to buy mine in multiple kilos! :?

1 kilo will usually do two crests like this one..
[Image: DSCF3286.jpg]

I always get the 78cm white and 86cm black.

Black unfortunately is almost twice the price of the white, but at Sowdens, you get the finest quality hair available for certain.
:twisted: Well it so happens....I live out in the sticks which is in the middle of a massive equestrian area....Hmmmm! Balaclava, night vis specs, carrots, big pair of scissors............
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

Dying aint much of a living.
Quote:1 kilo will usually do two crests like this one..

Stunning. Makes me want to start over!
Peritas Renius Curno
(Andy Loring)

Vis Unita Fortior
Quote:Thanks Andy!

I use 150 holes at 1/4" daimeter for my standard crests, so yes, there is more hair. I have to buy mine in multiple kilos! :?

Black unfortunately is almost twice the price of the white, but at Sowdens, you get the finest quality hair available for certain.

Excellent!!!!!! I wonnit!!!!
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

I have metel holder on mine. The crest is red. I note quite a few groups go for these and others for the wooden type. II Augusta appear to have the metel holders.
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

Quote:Hmmmm! Balaclava, night vis specs, carrots, big pair of scissors............

Don't forget your greaves and segmentata! Those things can kick HARD! :wink:
Quote:
Peroni:37z1pxdq Wrote:Thanks Andy!

You can't have it. It's going on to the helmet of my centurio for whom I ordered it Tongue
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:
muskitear:fbraa0gs Wrote:
Peroni:fbraa0gs Wrote:Thanks Andy!

You can't have it. It's going on to the helmet of my centurio for whom I ordered it Tongue

Just typical of me. Letting my heart rule my head..Magpie mentality Big Grin
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

Quote:Just typical of me. Letting my heart rule my head..Magpie mentality Big Grin

Well, it's understandable, it's an awesome crest Big Grin
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Thought I'd share my first attempt with you guys.
I'm quite pleased with it, but reckon I could do better with practice.
Just trying to figure out if I have enough hair left to make the mkII.
Peritas Renius Curno
(Andy Loring)

Vis Unita Fortior
That looks great Andy! nice work! Big Grin

Just for extra security and keeping the crest support in place, I'd recommend adding a tie ring to the rear end of the crest box and tie it off to the carrying handle of the helmet.

I had similar issues when I made the one pictured on our website for another Italic D.!
Quote:Have you seen these? :wink:
http://www.armamentaria.com/store/index ... ucts_id=88
There's a bit of a waiting list at the moment (a month or so) on these.
Adrien, Are you the chap I chatted with at TORM last year. You were behind Steve Wagstaffs stall. I kept coming back to you with questions, Like, what were the cloaks like. It was you who put me onto Steve for the lorica hinges!!!Think I got one of yer fliers.. here somewhere..
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

Quote:Thought I'd share my first attempt with you guys.
I'm quite pleased with it, but reckon I could do better with practice.
Just trying to figure out if I have enough hair left to make the mkII.

Yer done real good I like it.
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

Quote:Just for extra security and keeping the crest support in place, I'd recommend adding a tie ring to the rear end of the crest box and tie it off to the carrying handle of the helmet.

Yeah, I designed the wooden base so that it rests against the rear of the helmet, but the crest is still inclined to twist. I've got a pair of your hooks, Adrian - will probably fit one at the front just above the brow guard and tie off there.
Still undecided on the colour of the wood! Think I'll make the next one red and maybe even die the hair red. Nice to have a choice.
Peritas Renius Curno
(Andy Loring)

Vis Unita Fortior
Side plumes/feathers etc.
A long time ago before I got into this I saw a member of the ESG with side plumes/hackles. They were of horse hair or badger bristle and they looked really great. They looked a bit like large shaving brushes.
I have plume holders on my G.H. and have been toying with the idea of a similar plume each side to compliment my red crest ( I have been designated optio cos Im older than most :lol: ) Is this type of plume permissible?
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I make a horse hair helmet crest Naomi Lazarus 3 9,075 03-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Forty-One
  Centurio helmet crests or crests in general Doc 23 6,480 03-21-2009, 01:49 AM
Last Post: Doc
  Horse hair coloring Tiberius 51 11,483 08-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar