Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman metal vessels found at Draper\'s Gardens, London
avete omnes

thought this looked of interest to the Late Romans out there:

http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/nwh_gfx_en/ART52381.html

I don't suppose any brothers will be near the Museum of London before Jan 27 to take a few photo's?

"Archaeologists are hailing an exceptional collection of 19 metal vessels dating to the late Roman period as the most significant find in 30 years of excavations in the Upper Walbrook Valley, in the heart of what is now the City of London.

The pots, which are going on temporary display at the Museum of London from December 7 2007, were recently discovered at the bottom of a wood-lined well and despite being nearly 1,700 years old they are astonishingly well preserved.

They comprise of large wine buckets, a cauldron and large dishes, handled shallow bowls or dippers, part of a hanging bowl, a set of three nested bowls, a flagon, an iron ladle and a trivet.

It is also possible these remarkable pieces were hidden by departing Roman Londoners who anticipated a return to the city. Coins found in the well date its construction to 330 AD and its closure to around 380 AD, when significant parts of the Roman city had been deserted.

The finds were uncovered at Drapers Gardens, a site owned by the Drapers Company, during a dig by Pre-Construct Archaeology (PCA) and they are, in the main, made of copper alloy with several vessels, a flagon and dish, in lead alloy.

“All sites are unique and all have the potential to spring surprises although very few do,â€
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Thanks for the link Ste!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=19897

Caballo might! :wink:

I'll email him...

I did and he replied
Quote:"Planning a trip this week...all of five mins away!!"
Saw the stuff today- amazing state of preservation.
http://www.molg.org.uk/English/NewsRoom ... d_pans.htm
They tell me that the door/ doors are being conserved in Sheffield.
More pics later!
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Excellent news frater,

Look foward to the piccies! Big Grin
Took the camera to the museum.... battery flat- really sorry. It'll now be Monday unless Celer can get some pics?
Strange detail- the bucket and many of the copper alloy bowls have a small hole punched in the bottom- very clear, very distinct. But why????

Cheers

Caballo

aka Paul B, moderator
Moderation in all things
You have an amazing preservative soil up there! It must be so cool to excavate there! Not like down here that nothing survives... Cry
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
I'm envious, Caballo, I won't get to see them anytime soon but it's great to have some well dated late grist to the living history mill :-) )

I think they make a nice contrast to the high status silver plate hoards. They seem to include at least decent civilian tableware rather than camp gear, but one can imagine them in a cavalry officer's tent if not the semmisalis' 'front room' of a barrack block more easily than the treasures that get more coverage in the books.

Just the job to inspire some replicas: know anyone in the business, Adrian ;-) )
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Had a long talk with the Museum staff as well, who are sure (as I am ) that they were all beaten out as opposed to cast. Not difficult to manufacture by a skilled metalworker, I suspect. At least one is tinned by the way.

The entire hoard is:-
-Copper alloy wine bucket (handle still working- but why the small hole in the bottom???)
-Remains of a four looped zoomorphic hanging bowl (prob destroyed by a 60s concrete pile)- (again many with that pesky neat small hole)
-Several bowls and cauldrons
-Iron trivet
-Two shallow one handled bowls (slightly similar to a patera)
- Small dish and flagon in lead alloy (wouldn't recommend drinking out of that at an event.....!!)
-Iron ladle
[Image: CopperalloyRomanpotsandpans.gif]
All preserved in a small square Roman well where the access struts (like a ladder) still survived.

Other finds:-
-Bear skull- believed to be a brown bear- linked to amphitheatre??
-Gold dupondius of Marcus Aurelius
-Childs coffin
-Roman door- most complete ever found in Britain (see pic)
-Wooden pipe drain and lead piping
-Rim of amphora with person's name and capacity on it
-Large amounts of leather (no details yet)
- Tools (awls, saws)
- Carpenters ruler marked off at 3, 6, 8, and 10 inches
-Silver denarius of Hadrian
[Image: Romandoor.gif]

Strongly recommend that you buy the Jan 2008 edition of British Archaeology btw for more info! Well worth a subscription.

Cheers

Paul

PS Charged camera battery all night- camera still didn't work. Not good......

aka Paul B, moderator
Moderation in all things
Quote: Had a long talk with the Museum staff as well
Good for you Paul - laudes!

Quote:(but why the small hole in the bottom???)
(again many with that pesky neat small hole)
Normally I'd be the first to deny that every find 'must' have areligious meaning, but here, well.. In the Danish bogs, items were clearly damaged befor thrown in the water.

Either the holes are drilled or natural. If drilled, there must be a reason, either to render the vessels unusable, of for something we don't understand.

Just my 2 cents.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hanging Gardens of Nineveh, not Babylon? Epictetus 4 1,228 12-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Dave G
  Roman Gardens Primvs Pavlvs 9 2,621 11-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Senovara
  Ancient Roman Gardens rekirts 8 3,709 07-12-2003, 02:53 PM
Last Post: Anonymous