Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Those known as Museum Replicas
I'm sorry. I don't expect anyone to answer this. It is not a question, but a tirade, or warning to those "innocent" new re-enactors. I was just on the Museum Replicas site, and Oh my gosh!!!! I am still not believing some of the "Authentic Roman" articles that they claim are researched by experts.
I didn't know the Romans stained plywood for their shields. How appropriate. Did they get the stain from Rome Depot? The pugio with wooden handle looks like Popeye's forearm. They still claim to have a designed sword from some mythical place called "Maintz"! I teach High School World History and Middle School geography, and I don't know where the heck that place is!
The "troopers" helmet???? The pilum looks like it was designed by Werner von Braun. Who are these people??? Cotton tunics??? Cotton wasn't introduced to the west until the 700's AD.
Yes, I know, as long as rubes continue to buy this "Stuff" "businesses" like MR will continue to sell it. But it still hurts!!!!!
Mommy, make them stop!
T.Fabius Rufio/Jeff Crean
LEG~XX

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx">www.larp.com/legioxx
There really was and is a city named Maintz in Germany. That's one spelling; another is Mainz. There is also a gladius that wears that name because the specimen was found there.

There are quite a few things on that site that do raise the hackles of some of the people on this forum, though. It's always wise to make sure before sending any money to a supplier.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Did they get the stain from Rome Depot?

:lol: :lol: 'Rome Depot' Awesome Big Grin
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
"Rome Depot"

OMG! I first read that as "Home Depot"! Didn't click for a few moments! :oops: Too funny!

The sad thing is this stuff sells because some people don't bother with doing research, or don't want to, they're willing to believe the sellers know what they are talking about.

Likewise sometimes the vendors don't care or don't want to do the heavy research - which usually spells *expensive* in terms of production, materials and overhead costs. It's a self feeding animal - the junk sells, the vendor makes the buck and gets more junk.

Much the same with reenacting any historical period where stuff is made 'commercially'.

Actually was just talking with some ACW reenactor buddies who were talking about some period clothing patterns available that are notoriously innaccurate and poorly designed, where parts just do not and cannot fit together, but yet people devour these patterns...Some people when they come across bad parts with these patterns will modify or toss out the pattern and do it the way it's supposed to be done, et cetera.

Anyway, you've taken a huge step forward by realizing what is incorrect about some of the gear - you're ahead of the otherwise unknowing [uncaring] public in several ways. And, some of their gear can be modified to a passable degree, but it's easier to get good stuff at the start.

But to give MR some credit, some of their other stuff is very pretty and looks great on the wall - which is just one facet of their target audience.

remember it wasn't too long ago when the "fad" when looking at Roman, Romanesque style armor was to modify it to fit the Romantizied/Fantasized look of what it "should" look like as opposed to trying to find out what it really DID look like.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Thi subject reminds me of when I first searched for a store which would sell authentic roman soldier's gear. First I remember those Museum replicas armours which I first thought were the real thing- authentic. But being a good and reasonable consumer with not so much money- only about 50 euros- I didn't have a chance to buy those overpriced items, most Newstead armours cost 250 or more. When I, after a year of research on how to make my own armour, realized that almost all of the so called "authentic" pieces were either fake or just badly made- I became very happy of my decicion to make my roman outfit entirely by myself(everything exept the helmet- tunic, scutum and newstead lorica made so far). My Newstead cost me only 50 euros as I first planned (very cheap) and as I found out- it was more authentic than the MR armour!
Juuso Laasonen
That probably was actually for the better in a way. I think a lot of us who were willing to spend a lot more money in our early days of learning about historically accuracy ended up spending hundreds sometimes even thousands of dollars on stuff we couldn't use outside of a LARP or SCA event. I know I still have a lot of junk I'm trying to sell or rework into something usable.
Derek D. Estabrook
Quote:Cotton tunics??? Cotton wasn't introduced to the west until the 700's AD.
Not wanting to break a lance of (I mean for) MR, that stuff about cotton is incorrect - it was known during the Roman period, but very scarce - a luxury product.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Yes, I had heard of it as well, I think it came from Egyot or thereabouts...
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I believe cotton was already used in Europe during Roman times ... I think it came from India/Pakistan thereabouts and made its way to rome through Egypt. But yeah, it was a scarce product and I'd imagine very expensive!

On slight defense of Museum Replicas, they do make some very cool stuff -- I remember drooling over their Lord of the Rings swords! Great for displaying/hanging, but not for actual use.
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Cotton ship sails have been discovered in Egypt link from old RAT
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:I believe cotton was already used in Europe during Roman times ... I think it came from India/Pakistan thereabouts and made its way to rome through Egypt. But yeah, it was a scarce product and I'd imagine very expensive!

Yes I was thinking a little further east.... thanks for that clarification Sharon!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hang in there, Jeff, MRL has been our bane ever since they got rid of their Del Tin swords! I used to say that their "Roman" stuff was at least better than anything you'd see in a movie, but now it's even worse than that. Took some doing, but they managed it! In all fairness, their "HBO Rome" repros seem to be spot-on...

Making their clothing in a fabric which technically existed was just an accident, I'm sure. The bigger problem is that they typically went to extra effort to make it less accurate in design! Well, that's MRL for ya.

A little fact to keep in mind: Historical reenactors who actually care about detailed accuracy (and know it when they see it!) form only a tiny percentage of the customer base for MRL and other places. The vast majority of customers are LARPers, Renn Fair attendees, folks who saw a neato show or movie and want something for their shelf, etc. So manufacturers can safely ignore us nit-pickers without losing any money. When Deepeeka started making their more accurate stuff, they tried to discontinue their own version of the "trooper helmet", and several of their vendors screamed bloody murder because that was their best seller.

I actually wrote a long letter to Hank Reinhardt years ago (before Albion and Deepeeka appeared), offering him all kinds of free information to improve his "ancient" items, and he basically replied with "Well, we have to sell what will sell." Then he tried to convince me that Apache boots really ARE accurate! He completely missed the point that simply removing a few inaccuracies from some products would make them cheaper to produce, and the great ignorant masses could happily continue to be ignorant. I was boggled.

Now, listen to your Uncle Quintus and stay away from harmful websites like that, eh?

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Just FYI - Mr. Reinhardt passed away 10/30/07...see here:[url:37tnbbh1]http://www.sfwa.org/news/2007/hreinhardt.htm[/url]

I've seen it mentioned multiple places, including our own Legio XI Yahoo group (posted by Paul Montello), but haven't seen it mentioned here on RAT.
CASSIVS ANTONIVS CRISPVS
aka Chris Stewart
[Image: 43ef68_2f6cc79f005f46bc8d9f47d13dd81201~mv2.png]
OPTIO - LEGIO XI CLAVDIA PIA FIDELIS
http://www.11thlegion.net
All you have to do is remember the mantra: "Museum Replicas aren't"
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Replicas for the museum at Monterenzio (Italy) hephestus 28 6,564 04-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Last Post: hephestus