Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Roads
Ave Civitas,

I am in a quandry again. I am in search of the names of the Roman roads.

I have in my library:
Roman Roads of Europe - NHH Sitwell
Atlas of the Roman World - Cornell + Matthews
Roads of the Romans - RA Staccioli

However, search as I may on the internet, I cannot find a source that names all the major roads within the Empire.

I do have a listing (and maps) of all the roads in Italy and in Britain, but not the rest of the Empire.

So, I have a few questions:

1. I know in Rome some of the gates were named by the road that departed through them (Porta Tibur). Could I assume that most cities used the same naming scheme for gates in their walls?

2. I believe that most Roman roads were named after the financier who footed the expense. Was that true of all roads?

3. Does anyone know of a source (book etc) where I can get these names and an accompanying map (or description of their route)?

Thanks again for all your help.

Me.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
Quote:Ave Civitas,

1. I know in Rome some of the gates were named by the road that departed through them (Porta Tibur). Could I assume that most cities used the same naming scheme for gates in their walls?

Me.

I do not believe that You can use this pattern for all the gates. I suppose that some of them were named after the next town/city the road is connected to.
Interesting site
http://www.viaeromanae.org/index.php3?langue=en
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
Ave Arahne,

Thanks. That is a site I missed in my searches. I appreciate it very much.

I agree, not all gates were named by the destination city. Some, as in Rome, were named after the road that departed through them. That is another reason I am searching for road names.

I just looked at the site you recommended. Very good. Thanks again.

Me.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

I live near the ``Iter XXXVI´´ -Asturica Burdigalam- or now, Astorga-Bordeaux road. I think that the name is mentioned by Pliny the Elder and Ptolemy in their writings, where they gave also the names of the settlements in the route and distance between them.
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Ave Iagoba,

That is a great idea I did not consider, looking through Pliny's works. I think I have it on line, perhaps I can do a search for "Road" or "Via" and see what comes up.

Thanks again.

Me.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Sorry, I writed my last post with the wii so I couldn´t write as fast as I wanted. :?

Look for "Iter", better than road, or via, I think they are named still in Latin.

Also, those writings are the best way to know the names of the sites on a road, as is named there, and how long was the way to the next villae, mutatio, or whatever you find in the way. If you have find a number of places, you know the distance between them, and the relative importance of each, you can find the names, which usually doesn´t appear while digging the sites! Big Grin
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Ave Iagoba,

Iter. Thanks. I will do some searching in the next few days. Got busy with work and had no time to look.

Thanks again.

Me.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Another site:
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/itineraires ... efault.htm
Folkert Tiarks
Via Claudia
www.viaclaudia.org/
The tabula peutingeriana, named after Konrad Peutinger from Augsburg:
https://www2.fh-augsburg.de/~harsch/Chronologia/Lspost03/Tabula/tab_pe00.html
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Roads in Britain mcbishop 7 2,080 05-17-2014, 06:33 PM
Last Post: 66kbm
  Roman Roads in Britain Theoderic 9 2,410 02-25-2014, 09:59 AM
Last Post: mcbishop
  When Were Roman Military Roads Built Theoderic 25 4,426 08-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Vindex