Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Roads in Britain
How long after the AD43 invasion were the "Trackways" of the Brythons metalled by Roman engineers? I appreciate that it would have depended on the rate of expansion but were they done after the campaigns in times of relative peace or as part of the drive into enemy territory as a holding exercise? Or was it a much longer process?
Deryk
Quote:How long after the AD43 invasion were the "Trackways" of the Brythons metalled by Roman engineers? I appreciate that it would have depended on the rate of expansion but were they done after the campaigns in times of relative peace or as part of the drive into enemy territory as a holding exercise? Or was it a much longer process?
This question has a multi-part answer.

First, some trackways never seem to have been resurfaced but continued in use parallel to the Romanised system. Many of these may well have formed the basis of the medieval and modern minor road system.

Second, a few (difficult to quantify) trackways seem to have been upgraded to a quasi-Roman standard. The Stanegate may be one such (in parts).

Third, what we think of as a traditional Roman road (lots of straight sections, obviously carefully engineered and surveyed) was probably usually following the course of a prehistoric (depends how you define 'Britons') trackway without actually being plonked directly on top. Stane Street is a good example, or even Watling Street (which parallels and supersedes the Pilgrim's Way, Chaucer of course using the former rather than the latter).

The third type was primarily military in origin and continued to be so through to the English Civil Wars. The speed at which such roads were built is unknown but our best guess is provided by the careful accounting undertaken during Wade and Cauldfeild's 18th-century Highland road construction campaigns (the roads they built were modelled on Roman roads). Our best guess for the Dere Street reaching the Tyne is c.AD85, when Corbridge was built so that's about 40 years from the invasion. If you've ever worked on a modern road scheme, you'll know why the damn things take so long ;-)

Read all about it here (they have the title wrong but it should be changed back to the correct one at some point, I've been assured).

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Can this book be used in conjunction with Margary's books Mike?
Kevin
Kevin
Hi Mike

Many thanks for this......

Kind Regards - Deryk
Deryk
Quote:Can this book be used in conjunction with Margary's books Mike?
Insofar as all the roads are given Margary references, there are appendices cross-correlating the Margary roads, and there is a list of British battles fought on Margary roads, I guess you could say 'yes' ;-) There will also be a website with all the roads in Google Earth/Maps format (there are a few not-very-accurate ones around on the web; this is as accurate as I could make it).

Mike Bishop

Hi Mike,

Is there information available about how long such roads were in existence? I believe that some roads were already going into disuse during the Roman period?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Is there information available about how long such roads were in existence? I believe that some roads were already going into disuse during the Roman period?
One of the points I make in the book is that the network with which we are familiar is a palimpsest and that roads came into and out of use during the Roman period.

The biggest clue lies in what is still in use and what is no longer part of the modern system. A Roman road that is still in use has always been used (they clog up with undergrowth very quickly when not traversed). Also medieval records of military movements give a clue to how popular they were, as well as English kings' itineraries. Hence The Devil's Causeway, from near Portgate roundabout on Hadrian's Wall up to Tweedmouth, only survives today in fragments, mainly a central chunk of the A697. There is one possible Norman account of its use but nothing like what you see for other Roman roads, so it either went out of use in the late Roman or early medieval periods, I suspect.

Changes in population centres make a difference too. The death of Silchester has a huge effect on the surrounding road network, whilst the replacement of Cunetio with Marlborough leads to fairly minor tweakings to accommodate it.

More subtle changes within the Roman period are harder to determine but must have happened. Road networks always have and always will evolve.

Mike Bishop

I do believe that the Devils Causeway road goes from the Red house fort at Corbridge to Howick Haven on the east coast and the road to Berwick is in fact a branch road leading from it, with other roads going off from it indeed one that runs off it in the same direction as the Dere Street on the east side of the Cheviot.
Brian Stobbs
Watling Street (which parallels and supersedes the Pilgrim's Way, Chaucer of course using the former rather than the latter).
Watling St is an interesting one because it crosses so many territories. Whilst in Kent you have the Pilgrims Way route making a good topographic logic, Marix Evans points out the section around Towcester is up and down constantly. So I'm guessing some of the Midland sections are of pre-Roman original where the topography makes the decisions for the planners (Watford Gap) and some sections are of pure Roman authorship (Towcester to Bannaventa), joining the dots and dashes of earlier routes.

As I understand it Deva was established in the 70's AD so is it safe to assume the road network that radiated from it post dates that establishment? I'm keen to try and understand from which point Paulinus was in "Injun Country" during his advance on Mona in 61AD, any thoughts? I'm inclined to think the road between Wall and Wroxeter may have been some sort of boundary before striking out North West over the plain to the Dee.

PS great timely topic, when is the book signing tour?
Quote:As I understand it Deva was established in the 70's AD so is it safe to assume the road network that radiated from it post dates that establishment? I'm keen to try and understand from which point Paulinus was in "Injun Country" during his advance on Mona in 61AD, any thoughts? I'm inclined to think the road between Wall and Wroxeter may have been some sort of boundary before striking out North West over the plain to the Dee.
If one assumes there's no pre-Roman antecedent to Chester-Deva then it will presumably nevertheless have been on the pre-Roman road network. What may have happened is that those elements deemed to be useful will subsequently have been 're-purposed' to suit the Romans' needs, so the 'Roman' roads that radiate from it are those chosen to be upgraded or whatever. Roads tended to become boundaries after the Roman period; I don't know of any work done to suggest they were beforehand.

Quote:[PS great timely topic, when is the book signing tour?
Ah, I've just found a use for the acronym ROTFLU ;-)

Mike Bishop

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Roads in Britain mcbishop 7 2,030 05-17-2014, 06:33 PM
Last Post: 66kbm
  When Were Roman Military Roads Built Theoderic 25 4,318 08-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Vindex
  How fast could a rider travel over Roman roads? eperlanus 8 5,410 10-12-2011, 09:40 AM
Last Post: Epictetus