Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sizing of Lorica Segmentata
Can anyone please give me an idea of the sizing tips that were meant to be accessible at this link ( http://www.uncg.edu/~tarule/sca/roma/lo ... ntata.html ) which was mentioned in the legioxx lorica pages. It looks like this person has moved on and the link doesn't work anymore. Thank you.
---
Justin Keeling
Try Legio XX's page directly:

http://www.larp.com/legioxx/lorica.html

There are full size pattern links on the page, it is also recommended that you fashion a "mock-up" out of card stock or card board, so all adjustments can be made much easier than if you were using iron or steel.

Also try the "Search" feature on the upper left of the page, you might find exactly what you need.

You also need to include your real name in your signature...RAT rules....

Respectfully, and Welcome!

Wes
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Twas a woman that drove me to drink, and I never thanked her. W.C. Fields
Thank you Titus, I have now added a signature.

I have done the cardboard mock up using the 'default' pattern on legioxx and while there is plenty of room at the waist, the chest is not quite meeting (let alone overlapping). I have a bit of a 'V' shape going (yay!) ...
39"/99cm chest & 34"/c86cm waist.

I was hoping someone might have advice for sizing the girdle plates such as measure chest using tape measure and add a certain amount for the inflexibility of the metal and overlap required etc.

I have seen it mentioned that all girdle plates should be the same length (apart from left/right difference), but that they can be altered where 'V'-shape is a problem ... no mention of just how much each can be adjusted.

... in short, is there some correlation between girth measurement and girdles lengths?
(I hope this all makes sense?)
---
Justin Keeling
I've found the best way to size the girth section is to put on all the garments you intend to wear under the armour- tunica, subarmalis if you have one, or whatever- then take a deep breath and measure the circumference of the widest portion of your chest and add another 2cm of for comfort. You don't want to go too much more since if the upper hoops are too large, they'll uncomfortably contact the inner portion of your upper arms. You and I are nearly the same size, so I'd expect maybe 105-107cm would work.

The Corbridge type of segmentata overlapped left over right, so the left side should be half of the total you get from the above measuring method. Artifacts show that the right side was about 5cm longer than the left, 2.5cm of the front and back edges lying under the left side's edges. So the lacing loops are placed right at the edges of the left side plates, and 2.5cm in from the edges of the right side plates.

There does seem to be some debate as to whether the plates should be all the same length or 'nested' such that they have a straight vertical midline without angling, but the truth is likely somewhere in the middle by default; the girth plates of the Corbridge Hoard seem to vary somewhat in length throughout the sets and there's clear evidence from the Stillfried girth section of re-use of plates in different cuirasses, so it seems doubtful you'd have ever seen a truly straight midline nor a true 'v' shaped girth section. Using 20ga. steel, I find that nesting plates requires that each subsequent hoop be cut down 3mm in length, and it'd be slightly different for different thicknesses.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:You don't want to go too much more since if the upper hoops are too large, they'll uncomfortably contact the inner portion of your upper arms.
I first purchased a large size seg from Albion, the torso section was much too big, so I fabricated a new torso section while keeping the shoulder pieces from Albion. I was never able to eliminate the problem of pinching a nerve on my underarm while holding a scutum. Many guys don't seem to suffer from this aliment.

I too started from a cardboard mock-up. I'm 6'2" tall and I found that the "standard" 2 1/4 inches wide plates for a Corbrige A was not sufficient. Staying with 8 girth plates I widened the plates to 2 1/2 inches. Bottom line, the basic Corbridge dimensions are a starting point and you need to adjust for your body size and shape.
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
Thank you, Matt! Big Grin
That's exactly the information I was after.
---
Justin Keeling

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica Segmentata Hardware. Marcus33 0 268 10-28-2021, 05:02 AM
Last Post: Marcus33
  Lorica segmentata construction help 9thlegion 4 1,768 03-03-2018, 02:53 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe
  Advice on removing rust from Lorica Segmentata Adriangunn 6 3,914 02-16-2017, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Mervlvs