Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for expert armourers!
What would be the most authentic option for the neck plates? Rolled? Flared?
or lining with brass? a combination?
Juuso Laasonen
More artifacts that I'm aware of are flared than are rolled, so flared only would seem the most 'authentic' statistically, however because there are examples of just rolled and even a couple of rolled then flared, really any choice is accurate- my mentioning of rolling and flaring was really to point out that it's actually not the norm as is usually thought, not that it's inappropriate :wink: Bound in copper alloy is again just a postulate, there's no real evidence for it.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:I'm sorry if it sounded like I was implying a roll with the flare. I meant to say turn that flare into a roll or fold it completely back. I would hate to try putting a role on a flare.

Well I don't believe anyone actually means roll in the medieval/renaissance armor sense Brian- that kind of has a flare to it anyway- technically it is true that what is the case on Roman armor is a fold. And the one clear example from Vindonissa I can think of is a very minor fold, with a minimal flare actually...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Experts on HBO’s Rome & Expert Re-creat Antonius Congianocus 12 3,012 01-27-2006, 06:02 PM
Last Post: John M McDermott
  Any armourers? Jon Eaton 21 4,171 10-19-2005, 01:14 AM
Last Post: Crispvs