Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goat Skin Segmentata
Quote:I understand the same thing as Martin- that goatskin is the most puncture and abrasion-resistant type of leather, but what you'd have to find out is what it's stretchability is like. Given that it's used a lot for gloves because of its durability, data might be out there for its other characteristics...
I think kangaroo leather has higher puncture resistance and sharkskin has better abrasion resistance. Goatskin is easier to acquire though and would be better than cattle or pigskin. The way it is tanned makes a big difference too.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Here in the US, deerskin is more commonly accessible than goat, seems like. And all ungulates' hides are pretty similar. Want a leather string that will flex, but rarely break? Pick deer, sheep, elk (red deer) or goat.

Want a leather strap that won't stretch and wears well? Pick bovine: cow water buffalo or bison.

Don't think I've tried sharkskin boot laces, but -- Big Grin
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:I see that I must be extremely specific with you gents. No I was not thinking about armor panels made of goat skin in some twisted twist on the Italian style. I was wondering if people thought they might be strong enough for the internal leathers. And just maybe whether any DNA testing had been done on the decomposed scraps of leather on the archaeological finds.
[size=200:21uxl4q5]OK.[/size] :oops:
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Quote:It's okay, Ivan, I think he's just yanking his Beloved Commander's chain. Though he does stay home all day with 3 hyper kids, so maybe he's finally gone around the old bend, eh?

Matthew
[Image: cholorcoqp4.jpg]
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Quote:
Matt Lukes:3shlt48c Wrote:I understand the same thing as Martin- that goatskin is the most puncture and abrasion-resistant type of leather, but what you'd have to find out is what it's stretchability is like. Given that it's used a lot for gloves because of its durability, data might be out there for its other characteristics...
I think kangaroo leather has higher puncture resistance and sharkskin has better abrasion resistance. Goatskin is easier to acquire though and would be better than cattle or pigskin. The way it is tanned makes a big difference too.

Confusedhock: I would've thought it obvious that exotic types weren't included, but guess I should have qualified that statement- okay, "among the commonly-available types of leather, for samples tanned the same way and of the same thickness, it's my understanding goatskin is the most puncture and abrasion-resistant."
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Kangaroo hide isn't that hard to acquire where I live. Best leather I ever saw. Nike purchased a specific permit to cull a pile of kangaroos for one of their top range football boots.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
I wonder if the Romans ever used two layers of thin goat leather. I know this would produce a stronger strap than one thick piece of leather.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Plaiting and braiding make even fairly stiff leather strings more resilient and flexible, and each strand adds at least as much strength as it possesses individually. A cord of three strands is not quickly torn apart.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Btw, I split off the silly stuff about Romans seeing kangaroos...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  After action report: Goat skin works! Anonymous 4 1,907 05-03-2004, 04:57 AM
Last Post: aitor iriarte