• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Braccae and Feminalia
You can find linen quite cheaply here: http://fabrics-store.com/

That is usually where I get mine.

Rutilia
If you have peace in your land,
You will have health in your hand.

mka Siani Overstreet
Thanks for bringing this thread up again!
I was going to dig up some patterns from where ever they were hidden on here, but once again, you people have beaten me to the punch!

You people are great! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Why, we're just punch beaters from waaay back!

Note: I didn't say that the patterns I mentioned were "genuine, authentic, or documented". They're none of those things to the purist.

It's based on the notion that surely not all braccae were just like the Thorsberg ones, and the reality that the shape of the body in general hasn't changed since Adam. Ok, add Eve in there. :lol: That's a different shape, as anyone who'd made clothing will agree. But either of those methods I mentioned can be used to produce workable braccae/feminalia, as long as you keep the tape measure handy, and make sure the legs fit like you want them.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Why, we're just punch beaters from waaay back!

Hmmmm, ok(makes a note on wax tablet......)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Sharon, in Hamilton on Ottawa street there is a section that is well known for it's fabrics, and is where I usually buy mine. I can pop in there if your'e looking for a certain type of linen, though it's usually priced anywhere from about $14 - $20 per meter.

Legion: TBD
If you're looking for a femenalia pattern, and although they are much later, you could probably do worse than base them on Dark Ages style.

[url:2icbqbnd]http://www.historicenterprises.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=579&c=6[/url]

[Image: skbreech2.jpg]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
My first patter was taken from a pair of sweatpants. fold them at the crotch between the legs, lay them on your fabric with the fabric folded in half and the outseam of the sweatpants over the fold. Trace, cut, and repeat for the second leg. I usually go atleast two inches up from the waistline for a fold over to put a drawstring in.
Sew up the inseam, attach the two legs together, then hem and insert your drawstring.
It's a tad barbaric of a method, but then again they are barbarian clothing, right?
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
Quote: My first patter was taken from a pair of sweatpants ...
Smile Yep, that’s what I plan on doing - I have a pair of old pajamas that I was going to use as a "pattern" , but I needed to know what other people had done.

Matt: I’m going to try locally here first, and if I can’t find what I need, I may take up on your offer - thanks!
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Well then, just split them up the inseam, then the center seam, and lay them out as flat as possible, pin, cut and sew. On the way!
(BTW, your box is in the airmail, forgot to tell you)
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I would, but the pj's are pink, with cute little cartoon monkeys all over them ... so self-respecting roman soldier would be caught dead in those! Tongue
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My new feminalia Velite 22 7,303 03-04-2008, 11:16 PM
Last Post: Velite
  dyed braccae richsc 0 1,093 09-24-2006, 11:46 PM
Last Post: richsc