Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Saddle
Hi guys. Does anyone know where I can get a pattern for a 1st century Roman Saddle? Specifically the saddle tree, as I am used to making medieval saddles and have a saddle tree maker here in Georgia that can make the tree for me, but I have been unable to find a pattern for a Roman saddle. I have Peter Connolly's drawings, but that is not enough to give the tree maker.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Jesse
JesseB
(a.k.a Jesse Bailey)
Anyone????
JesseB
(a.k.a Jesse Bailey)
Try the search function. There are a few threads on the forum concerned with Roman saddles.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Have a look at the thread, 'Late Roman Cavalry, A Trio of Articles' lower down and get it touch with the chap from Comitatus, they seem to be doing a lot of tryouts for different saddles. There is the German lady, Gabi Eikhart I think who makes the beanbag type for about £800.
Good luck!
Lawrence
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
Jesse,

I emailed you Peter Connolly, "A Reconstruction of a Roman Saddle," Britannia 17 (1986): 353-355 and Peter Connolly and Carol van Driel-Murray, "The Roman Cavalry Saddle," Britannia 22 (1991): 33-50. The second one has extensive illustrations. Hope this helps.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Thanks folks, I think I'll have to make a tree from scratch and then get my saddle tree guy to work the kinks out. I just didn't want to reinvent the wheel if some one was already making one.
JesseB
(a.k.a Jesse Bailey)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Saddle/s photos needed bachmat66 4 2,359 08-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Last Post: jvrjenivs
  Sassanian - Roman Saddle SassanianPersian 38 7,530 07-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Last Post: John Conyard
  Where can one find Roman cavalry style saddle? ohcapt13 19 5,985 06-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Last Post: John Conyard