Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sassanian - Roman Saddle
Hello Everyone, long long long ago I posted a question about where to get a Roman Saddle. Well, I was never able to find one. And the ones that I found were not exactly what I wanted or too expensive. Anyway, my real heart and passion was in making one. So after a lot, and I mean a lot of pain and struggle, I made a saddle. I had a friend help me with the tree. It is made of all natural materials. Ash wood tree core, rawhide suspension, wool felt covered and then covered in 7 ounce leather hand cut and wet formed and stitched with sinew thread. My goal was to make the cleanest and most accurate saddle. One of the problems that I had with every other saddle that I have seen is that they do not actually wrap around the thighs as I have seen in the Persian wall carvings in Iran. So we made these to wrap around the front of my thigh. They work unbelievably well. I love this saddle more than my competition saddles. Now, one of the things that we did was add an extra billet for the girth that a stirrup leather can be attached to should I ever want a stirrup leather. Since it is not known whether a stirrup was used with this saddle in its later period before the step saddle was made, I added them in. This saddle is so comfortable to ride and soooo effective in giving you stability. Now, I am speaking from my own personal experience. I am trained in Classical Dressage and play Polo Professionally, also expert in mounted archery, on horse sword and lance work. This saddle works sooooo well for all of the tests that I ran it through. There really is a big difference when the horns wrap around your thighs as opposed to just acting as blocks in the front. My next goal will be to make a Sassanian 2 horn saddle with a round cantel. In all of the information that I have seen, I have seen people only debate 2 types of saddles. The Roman Hard 4 horn saddle and the Roman soft 4 horn saddle. There are 2 more types. I have research this quite a bit and I couldn't believe what I came across. When I was in Iran, I was looking at all of the wall carvings first hand and upclose in detail. Came across two other saddles. 2 horn saddle with no cantel horns. So just the horns up front that they rode in none combat situations. Much easier to get on and off. And another saddle which has been in front of me all time and I never saw it. I believe it is the Sassanian King Narseh, he is riding a 2 horn saddle with a round bucket style seat in the back, much like a western saddle. I cant believe that this has been overlooked by sooo many saddle enthusiasts. So, if I get around to it and can encourage myself to do it, I will be making a 2 horn round cantel saddle. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy this. Notes on the Construction of this saddle. I was in Turkmenistan Iran and I spoke to guys who had old, I mean old saddles, and I bough a step saddle from them. But not a typical style that you would see online. Anyway, I followed the exact directions and steps that they told me. The saddle I bought is about 150 years old or more. But what is more interesting is that they made those saddles the same way as they were made 1500 years ago or. I made mine in the same fashion and style except I did not wrap the tree in rawhide as I do not have any evidence that they did in the past. The saddle tree also does not have any modern laminate such as shellac or varnish on it. Thank you everyone for all of the information you guys post and make public. I hope these images help anyone else out who is interested in a Sassanian Saddle or a Roman Saddle.

Ardeshir Radpour

http://www.radpour.com/sassanian-roman-saddle
Ardeshir Radpour
This looks really good !

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
The Pommel does seem too steep however, you may have some problems fitting this on a horse that has anything other than a very high wither
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
I have 5 horses, with different style backs. Actually the widest backed horse it fits the best. All are thoroughbreds, one is built more flat backed like an andalusian or quarterhorse and it fits her perfect. The highest withered horse I have to actually pad up. It fits them really nice.
Ardeshir Radpour
Might well just have been the angle the picture was taken then... but good job - nice finish..

Myself and a saddler here in the UK have been looking for someone who would be willing to make the trees for him.. its proving to be difficult

Claire
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
Yeah, the tree is definitely a tough part of the project. But the leather is pretty tough too, you have to really wet it and stretch it and form it. I have to be honest I was really nervous that I was going to get to the end and then some tiny thing would go wrong. hahaha. All in all, it went pretty well. But my hands were tired when I was done with it. I have a friend here who makes the trees but I dont know what your budget is. The tree would probably be roughly around $1000 for it.
Ardeshir Radpour
Wow, wonderful. I've such a thing on my to do project list, also. Want to give it a try some day, and I've to say you pictures are very helpful.
You did a great job.
ALA I BATAVORUM
That is a great looking saddle.
Thanks for posting the information on line.
I like the point on the front horns gripping your thighs? Is that correct?
I would certainly like to try a saddle such as your reconstruction.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The horns on my saddle work really really well. They lock me into place nicely, without trapping me. I am glad the pics help. It was a tough project let me tell you, but fun.
Ardeshir Radpour
As yet, I have seen no one use the bronze reinforcements in a reconstruction?
Does anyone know if it has been done?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yes,

Timetrotter saddles have tined brass reinforcements, at the outer face of the horns.

Sassanian: Congratulations for a very good work. I'm impressed. Seeing the shape of the front horns, sure that it have to work fine!
Quote:As yet, I have seen no one use the bronze reinforcements in a reconstruction?
Does anyone know if it has been done?

As Cesar mentions, Timetrotter has the bronze re-inforcements on their saddles, as does Gauthier Clerens. Personally I also have the intention to add these to my saddle(s).
ALA I BATAVORUM
Sassanian, I like the saddle tree, it is very well made.

The copper alloy stiffeners probably attach to the woodern frame. Many saddles have them, but they are hidden by the leather cover which was probably made to be taken off the frame when needed.

An alternative approach is to use a pad saddle and attach the copper alloy stiffeners externally on the leather cover. They give the floppy horns greater rigidity.
John Conyard

York

A member of Comitatus Late Roman
Reconstruction Group

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">http://www.comitatus.net
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.historicalinterpretations.net">http://www.historicalinterpretations.net
<a class="postlink" href="http://lateantiquearchaeology.wordpress.com">http://lateantiquearchaeology.wordpress.com
[Image: DSCF0234-1.jpg]

The Edinburgh harness is quite interesting.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
We were going to put the Bronze Plates on, but decided against it. I like the look of the leather better. The bronze plates that so many put underneath I believe are inaccurate as I have seen a few saddles with metal reinforcements in Iran, old saddles and they were all on the outside. If the tree is made properly then the plates add no reinforcement at all. Also, those are not joint reinforcements but rather they shield the outer rims. My believe is that they were much like the armor a soldier would wear on his legs or arms for the saddle. providing further protection to the rider. So if that rider had segmented leg and arm defenses, then these bronze plates offered further protection to the saddle but also their lower parts. The next saddle I made will have the bronze or tinned bronzed plates on it. But it will be a two horned saddle with a round bucket seat in the back like the Sassanian Kings rode. I have a picture of this saddle on one of the Wall Carving Reliefs in Iran. I will post it when I get a chance. That saddle I may to some metal decorative work on it as well.

And by the way, I have seen a really beautiful photo of a saddle with the bronze plates on the outside, but not sure where to find it again. It was online. The saddle was beautiful and very well done and looked very proper.

Thank you for all of the input guys. I just wanted to give something back to everyone on here. You guys do such a great services putting out information that is so hard to come by.

Ardeshir - which by the way is my real name.
long live the Savaran
Ardeshir Radpour

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Saddle/s photos needed bachmat66 4 2,348 08-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Last Post: jvrjenivs
  Where can one find Roman cavalry style saddle? ohcapt13 19 5,957 06-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Last Post: John Conyard
  Roman Saddle JesseB 5 2,242 11-02-2007, 02:03 AM
Last Post: JesseB