Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Build your own Roman warship
Just make it a bit bigger, and then you have more space to play with...say six feet long?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hard to know until I make a sample mechanism. Money is tight right now, so I have no R&D budget. I'm hoping for about 3 feet being big enough. That's mostly because transportation would be difficult. I also hope to scale it to one or another size of miniature soldiers, like maybe the 54mm guys.

One good thing is that all the rowers are belowdecks, and won't have to be seen. And the bigger it is, the bigger the motors, the bigger the batteries. As it is, probably a lawnmower battery will be required. I don't want to buy some expensive battery that's super specialized. Small motorcycle batteries might be too big. Hard to say. Many things to work out.

But if it ever hits water and floats, wow! How cool would that be?? :!: 8)
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Go for it..I wish I had space for projects like that!! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Now if I can figure out how to make a remote controlled Greek fire launching ballista on the bow deck --- :twisted: :wink:
It might be fun to attack racing shells. :twisted: :wink:
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
:lol: If I can catch them!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
You wouldn't have to catch them, just burn their sails with the catepult!! :lol: Then you can catch them at your leisure! 8)
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
...or just fire a ballista bolt at the primer, and since they're SHELLS, they'd just explode. Heh.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
As the subject's model biremes, check out this 41" long, pre-made, Greek bireme: HERE

[Image: 69b9_1_b.JPG]

It's worth taking a look through the shop as well.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/modelshipboutique
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Its nice, but what are the spears about protruding from the Bow? I don't think that is what the Corinthian improvements during the Peloponesean war were all about..... :? ?

Nice model all the same!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
[Image: 800px-Model_of_a_greek_trireme.jpg]

This beauty from unknown museum is really nice Smile
Martin
Found this ARLT page with diagrams, including cross sections:
http://blog.arlt.co.uk/blog/Models/_arc ... 23482.html
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Here are some photos of that Zvezda 1/72 Roman Trireme Rowing Warship I mentioned last year. I just about finished assembling it a couple of months ago.

Galley 1
Galley 2
Galley 3
Galley 4
Galley 5
Galley 6

The only thing I neglected to attach was the corvus. I just wasn't in the mood to add it. Besides, I think the galley looks less dated without it. Afaik, the Romans only used it during the first Punic War.

The model cost me about $100 USD and it measures about two feet long from stem to stern.

Quote:You wouldn't have to catch them, just burn their sails with the catepult!! Then you can catch them at your leisure!

Or you could burn their sails using Archimedes' "Death Ray". It's more accurate than catapults and you never run out of ammo, unless it's a cloudy day :lol:

~Theo
Jaime
Ooo! Very nice Smile Well done.

Makes me want to take up modelling again ... if only I had the money!
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]