Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Build your own Roman warship
I found this recently and thought someone might enjoy it. I haven't made models in a looooong time but this I could get in to.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/acy/acy1401.htm

I was trying to add the picture but it won't work, sorry. Looks pretty cool, though.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
That looks sooo much like a model I had in the mid to late '70's Confusedhock: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Ave Satvrninvs,

I built this model in addition to a much larger trireme (Punic War era). The latter is much more difficult to build and has more complicated rigging.

http://www.shipmodels.co.uk/941_1_1305477.html

~Theo
Jaime
On the one it says 1/48, and the other 1/250th. I think the 1/250 must be wrong. It doesn't have the look of a 240' long boat, so I'm voting for the 50' long one.

I have this crazy idea beginning to gel of building a Roman oarship that has actual working oars, radio controlled. Sails up, sails down. Preliminary size is looking like around 2', or .6m Lots of things to work out before cutting any wood, though. complicated stuff for my old brain.

BUT! How cool would it be when the RC sailboaters are confronted by a ramming speed warship that doesn't rely only on the wind?

Now if I can figure out how to make a remote controlled Greek fire launching ballista on the bow deck --- :twisted: :wink:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Demetrius,

Wow, I had the same idea ! Radio operated rigging for the sails and some kind of steam powered mechanism to simulate rowing for the oars.

That way you wouldn't need to hire a crew which would be a PITA.

GMTA :wink:

~Theo
Jaime
Quote:On the one it says 1/48, and the other 1/250th. I think the 1/250 must be wrong. It doesn't have the look of a 240' long boat, so I'm voting for the 50' long one.

I have this crazy idea beginning to gel of building a Roman oarship that has actual working oars, radio controlled. Sails up, sails down. Preliminary size is looking like around 2', or .6m Lots of things to work out before cutting any wood, though. complicated stuff for my old brain.

BUT! How cool would it be when the RC sailboaters are confronted by a ramming speed warship that doesn't rely only on the wind?

Now if I can figure out how to make a remote controlled Greek fire launching ballista on the bow deck --- :twisted: :wink:

Will be ok untill some one decided to ram back with a ww1 era ironclad... :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Big Grin Wouldn't have to be a wwI ironclad. It could be a civil war ironclad,even.
Yes, the size thing is a bit confusing. I believe they sell two different models(?). Anyway, the description says it's 13" long. I like those dimensions better than the fractional one.
What got me started on this was I saw it last week end at Hobby Lobby
and thought it was cool but priced in the "ouch" range. This web version is about half price (still a bit "ouch") but better.
Andy Booker

Andronikos of Athens
The Andrea Miniatures 54mm (1/32) bireme, complete with 43 figures - the grandaddy of them all:
http://www.andrea-miniatures.com/market ... etalle=831

[Image: LP-09-01.jpg]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Radio operated rigging for the sails and some kind of steam powered mechanism to simulate rowing for the oars
Steam should work, it has adequate power, but I'd thought of just plain electric. The size is the issue, since it would take significant power to run the oars, so that would mean a large battery bank. The trick is how the oars would work, since they must rotate in an ellipse, not a circle. I'm still struggling with the way to do that. I believe a bireme could work from a single connection per pair of oars (they would be joined together under the deck into only one mechanical connection, I think). But it's a puzzle so far.

I'm suggesting that the oars actually be the propulsion method (but probably with a small conventional motor in case the battery bank failed when the boat was far from shore. Separate battery, of course. Maybe the one that turns the rudder, raises and lowers the sail, rotates the mast could be connected to a normal underwater propellor)

If ever it gets to the drawing board I'll put something up to show it.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Avete omnes,

I'm just returning from I climb under the roof, where I found that model stored safely in a cardboard box. Guess I've built it 25 years ago.

According to the height of the shields (15mm), scale might be approx. 1/60.

I remember my 'crew' was chartered of painted Asterix figures which were sold together with a chewing gum. But the they seem to have paid off in the meantime...
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
As I get closer to drawing up plans, I'll probably get the model to steal their proportions and general design. The below decks area will necessarily be quite different.

Probably, the first level will be a rowboat, with maybe 4 or six oars, like the "lifeboat" on a warship. That will help me figure out how to make the oars work.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Another large scale bireme (1/30), and a damn sight cheaper than the Andrea one:
http://www.shipmodels.co.uk/512_1_2417153.html
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:
Quote: The trick is how the oars would work, since they must rotate in an ellipse, not a circle. I'm still struggling with the way to do that. I believe a bireme could work from a single connection per pair of oars (they would be joined together)

David, you could attatch all oars on each side and use the mechanism from an HO scale train set engine. That way you get the elliptical rowing.
Just an idea.

Tarbicus, thanks for the links. Very nice.(too bad shipping would kill it for us across the pond). Unless, of course, you sail it over. Smile
Andy Booker

Andronikos of Athens
Hmm. I wonder if each side's being separate would allow for propulsion steerage. Man, the array of servos and transmitter/receivers is getting laptop level complicated!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Well,yeah, then you have to attatch the rudder,too. Man, this is getting technical. Could work, though.

(how was your b-day? I hope it was as you wanted).
Andy Booker

Andronikos of Athens