Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late roman Lorica Musculata?
Quote:So we have in late roman writing the word "Thorax" to indicate the possible muscled armor.
Damien,
I think that the word 'thorax' was maybe used for any type of chest armour. Similar to calling every type of sword a 'gladius' and every type of spear a 'hasta'.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Daniele,

That statue is TERRIBLY interesting Confusedhock: I didn't knew about it at all!
Is there any chance to get more clearer pics or close-ups? 8)

I'd love to see more detailed wiews of the sword and its suspension system... :wink:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Aitor, what a pleasure! Where were you hidden? Big Grin

Unfortunately I've just that pic taken from the catalogue of the "Costantino il Grande" exhibition in Rimini I visited. The Museum stewards stopped me to take pics after the first one at a blue opale phalera... Cry

BUT I've another pic of the same collection from the Web, I find very interesting:

http://www.archaeogate.org/print/photo. ... _434_8.jpg

PLUS here goes the Website of the exhibition with some of the pieces from Turin: http://www.artimeholiday.com/sito/gallery.htm#

Vale,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Hi Daniele,

I was pursuing my other hobbies and trying to keep my family minimally attended... :roll:

Many thaks for the other pic. I was at the Ravenna Archbishop's Museum many years ago taking pics of that statue. In fact, the 'bridge' of my scabbard is copied from that statue so as the way I tuckle my belt's hanging strap around the belt! 8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Ahah! The image Daniele posted shows the wide circles on the tounge and hanging pteruges...I beleive that characteristic is shown on the tetrarchs statue as well. So obviously this must be a style characteristic of late musculatas or just artistic style of portraying musculatas later on. Also the statue has what looks to be a single different pteruge in the center from all the others or it could be a separate garment akin to the one portrayed on the mosaic theo posted?? interesting.
Dennis Flynn
BTW for some other evidence, including literary ( e.g. the reference to Valentinian's harsh punishment) see the thread here:-

http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... 500#174500
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leather Cuirass Lorica Musculata, I used to think no way but AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs 209 61,375 06-19-2013, 04:46 AM
Last Post: Vitruvius
  Major update by Travis Lee Clark Lorica Musculata Antonius Congianocus 6 4,332 01-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Alexandr K
  Late roman lorica hamata? Virilis 18 4,406 12-18-2012, 12:25 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs