Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marle 2008
Derek, with reference to your comment about the 'impromptu' battle for the Roman camp at Marle, speaking as one of the Barbarians involved in said skirmish, I have to compliment mainly the Ermine street guard for being such good sports, after one of our guys had explained beforehand that it was just a bit of a tussle and we were well aware that you Roman types were carrying sharps and parade armour, you held your own with a sense of Humour and got the context of our little shindig. All good that no one got hurt, Incidentally the pics of this battle look epic! I'm one of the bald, beardy ones stood on the rampart! (In the green tunic).
With the greatest Respect,
Brusi Tjordulf
Jorvik Vikingr and Ulfhednar England
Bruce Tordoff

"Truth is my sword, Wisdom is my shield
and ignorance is the foe to which I shall not yield"
Thanks for the compliment.
That ditch seemed to have a magnetic attraction for our members. The previous night one of our decani fell in having had one or two too many beers. Hauled out he took a few steps only to fall in once more!!
It certainly showed how a relatively simple bit of work can present a substantial obstacle.Fortunately for our decanus the organisers had gone easy on all the other usual obstacles.
I have not seen any pics of this so are there any more.
Derek
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
Hi Derek,
Regarding the pics, I found various pics of the Impromptu barbarian attack on said Roman camp, on the Musee des temps Barbares website (Gallery section) There are several links to other sites hosting pics of the event (Picasa etc.) Failing this, feel free to look at the pics gallery of our group myspace, myspace.com/jorvik_vikingr
In the 'Marle' folder. There are some amazing facial expressions as people head into the trenches, it is seemingly quite rare to see convincing battle photo's from re-enactment events but these are right in the thick of it, a testament to the passion of those involved, I feel. I concur, it was an interesting bit of experimental acheology, to test the effectiveness of the trenches and palisades. I think we would of held you off if it hadn't been for that sneaky pincer movement, Damn them Roman battle tactics!
Cheers,
Bruce
Bruce Tordoff

Some more pictures of the 'Imperial sandwich' that was served at Marle 2008. The pictures were taken by Peter Vanderplaetsen, curator of the Roman museum at Velzeke.

I was with the second group that came from the back. We where pushing and pushing until the officers started yelling to stop because we were pushing our own men into the ditch. This wasn't visible from our position. I think this must have been a problem in real battles too, the front ranks being pushed forward by the rear ranks...

[Image: DSC00482.jpg]

[Image: DSC00483.jpg]

[Image: DSC00484.jpg]

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
[Image: DSC00487.jpg]
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Cheers Jef, and nice one Peter for such action packed photo's, interesting to see the action from the Roman camp view, all previous pics I've seen are from the other side. Again, considering the fact that this was not "combat" it actually looks more realistic. That to me is what re-enactment is about and should be about. Professionalism, Common sense, a sense of fun and adaptability, but without animosity or jealousy, or any of the usual group politics or buls**t.
Bruce Tordoff

Yes, let's hope many more events like this will follow!
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Marle 2008 Quintus Julius Furius 3 1,381 03-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius