Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Female warriors during the Imperial period
Salvete,

I was wondering what cultures had women serving as warriors in their armies during the Roman Imperial period. How about the scytians?

I seem to remember about female soldier graves found in Britain? What's the current interpretation of these finds?

I think the Scythian female warriors might be the most likely? How would they have looked?

Valete,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I came across this:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 404942.ece

Unfortunately, the specific Numerus isn't identified. It does offer a legitimate avenue for female re-enactors who want to be fighters.

These sites have some good atistic/artifact refrences:

http://www.pitt.edu/~haskins/

http://elmo.sssnet.com/7genex7/
Angus Finnigan
I'm guessing the Romans would have undoubtedly encountered female warriors on the northern frontier in britain, due to celtic culture being open to female combatants, as well against Sarmatians and Scythians in the eastern steppes. I think the tale of Amazons derives from greek encounters with the Sarmation/Scythian female warriors. I remember reading about an archaeological find I beleive around modern day lebanon and the western coast of Syria that included a vast amount of female Scythian warriors. As I remember (which isnt good to go by :roll: ) they theorized that this settlement was perhaps the origin of Amazon warriors. I'll look into the topic a bit more to clear up the information but that's all I can remember for now.
Dennis Flynn
There must be some truth to the story of amazons invading greece!?
Anyone know of any sources? Other than Pressfields 'Last of the Amazons'? :roll: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well, I would think that most of the greek myths were based on some, however dull, real events dating to the Myceneans. I know a bit about Mycenean history, but not of other cultures during that period. I've seen Mycenean and Minoan representations of battles with "barbarian" tribes, covered in animal skins from surrounding areas. Wether their dress is just the artists imagination or based on any truth I don't know, but if there were to be primitive tribes around their area, I am sure due to their lack of any organized army that theres a chance women must have participated with the men in any kind of conflict. That is my unprofessional theory on that. I want to say the origin is the Scythian female warriors but I don't know when their culture first appeared and if it was around when the Myceneans were, unless the ancestors to the Scythians and Sarmatians were in contact with them. I'll have to look into that one.
Dennis Flynn
Quote:Salvete,

I was wondering what cultures had women serving as warriors in their armies during the Roman Imperial period. How about the scytians?

I seem to remember about female soldier graves found in Britain? What's the current interpretation of these finds?

I think the Scythian female warriors might be the most likely? How would they have looked?

Valete,
In most cultures where fighting is considered 'a man's job' a few women fight anyways in special circumstances. The Engligh pirate Mary Read pretended to be a man and served as an infantryman for some time for example, and there are plenty of accounts of noblewomen who took up arms or lead armies in times of trouble. We also have a few accounts of women fighting during Crusades (and not just in "they're invading the town/camp, I'd better defend myself" situations). So almost any culture might have a few scandalous female warriors.

The Romans would probably be an exception, due to their professional army and its practice of communal baths.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:due to their professional army and its practice of communal baths
But if they weren't wearing any clothes, how could they tell whether they were men or women?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:
But if they weren't wearing any clothes, how could they tell whether they were men or women?
Well, I'm a bit busy for dating these days, but I have heard there are differences ... Tongue
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:

Hmmmmmm, how can I answer this one with a straight face..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: LMAO
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many detailed orders of battle do we have from the Early Imperial period? Keeper of the Sacred Chickens 0 264 01-29-2023, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Keeper of the Sacred Chickens