Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seven temporary Roman Camps found at Trebur-Geinsheim/German
I grew up and work in Groß-Gerau and one of my Ex-girlfriends live even today in Trebur (and one or two schoolmates in Wallerstädten), maybe i must them visit as fast as possible and go a little bit for a walk :wink:
Marcus Iulius Chattus

Me that ave been what i´ve been-
Me that ave gone where i´ve gone-
Me that ave seen what i´ve seen-
...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
Domitian also campaigned across the Rhine into Germany in his war against the Chatti. I believe his point of entry into Germany may have been from Moguntiacum (Mainz). That would put things nicely in the late 80's AD/CE if some of the coin finds back that up. They don't have to be winter camps either. If the army built a camp as a forward base of operations, then they could stay there through a summer's campaign and send smaller units further into Germanic territory, which might also set up bases from which they operated during the campaign.

At least during the time period we are discussing, the Romans were plenty willing to cross the Rhine to punish any uppity Germans who thought they could raid Roman territory. We may not have much literary information for the period of activity in the later 110-120 AD period, but surely the Romans maintained their general highly aggressive posture with the Germans, despite any possible manpower shifts due to the Dacian Wars/Trajan's Parthian campaigns, etc. In fact, it may have been necessary to show the standards even more with the fewer troops than if they had more troops in garrison.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
I'm led to belive that the vicinity of the river bed of Rhenus Fluvius has been thoroughly "swiss-cheesed" (=punctured -- or what you call it :wink: ) by Roman militaries since I.G.J.C.A. (ahem , of couse I mean to say Caesar Octavianus). They're also now digging around Ludwigshafen-Rheingönnheim again, as a friend of mine informed me. Claudian castrum ~4,67 ha just opposite the former Neckar-delta , obviously guarding a ford , too. Also, there's most probably an earlier camp of ~ 11 ha from earlier times and a (later) vicus --- did I mention that already ?!
Alta Ripa was the successor to that place in late antiquity.Guarding a river-crossing consisting of a ford and a bridge, then.
From what my friend told me they seem to go at the vicus more extensively, this time.
Might be gettin' interesting. (One of these well-made exhibitions at the Pfälzisches Museum at Speyer to follow, then ?)

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
Update -- slightly O.T. though :
There will be an "Archäologie Park" at Ludwigshafen-Rheingönnheim.
Further Info (in German):
http://www.archaeopro.de/Archaeopro/Öffe...llpark.htm
Says they already constituted an "appreciation soceity" and try to put the area "under legal shelter"
(Hope I translated this correctly --- well when I'm tired, I'm tired :roll: )
The pics speak for themselves: not a second Xanten but a "sensible" Rheingönnheim, it seems.
It also seems they got bronce- and stoneage finds in this area.
Once of the next destinations for Jasper and or Jona next year ? :wink:

Greez & Goodnight

Simplex
Siggi K.
Quote:There will be an "Archäologie Park" at Ludwigshafen-Rheingönnheim: http://www.archaeopro.de/Archaeopro/Öffentlich/Kastellpark/Kastellpark.htm
You had me worried there, Siggi -- how did seven temporary camps become a reconstructed Claudian fort?! Confusedhock:

(Seems an exciting project, but the barrack block doesn't look quite right -- is there space for its neighbour?)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
O.K. my jump from Trebur to Rheingönnheim seems not to have been clear enough for everyone. Confusedhock:
Two posts earlier I was taking Rheingönnheim (sited on the other side of the Rhine than is Trebur) as another example of "swiss-cheesing" the Rhine valley by roman militaries, mentioning another excavation taking place at Rheingönnheim at that time (parallel) . My update solely refers to Rheingönnheim not to Trebur. I simply didn't want to set up a new topic for this update. :oops:
Sorry for misleading words. Sad
Another Link: [url:3oc0nol9]http://www.archaeologiepark-rheingoenheim.de/[/url]

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
Looks like he was seriously injured in the face.
What is the round object in the last photo? My German is extremely limited I'm afraid.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:O.K. my jump from Trebur to Rheingönnheim seems not to have been clear enough for everyone. Confusedhock:
Of course I realised what you were doing, Siggi -- and thanks for the excellent link. Seems that the Germans have all the cool reconstructions.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Hi Gajus Julius Caesar,
....sorry my eyes don't tell me what the round item in question might be. They are simply too weak for my old 'screen. :roll:
As to the descriptive lines on the last photo --- it roughly translates:
"The forearm is laying besides the shank, the hand pointing towards the skull/head.
Both skeletons show signs of burning on the bones. This cellar is giving a minute view on the horrible events of this ill-fated day on which this early roman castellum got destroyed. Soldiers stationed here and inhabitants (both) got killed/mutilated and thrown into the burning cellar."
Hope this helped you.

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
Thanks Siggi! Yes that answers the question on the death circumstances.
Now I wonder about the round object. A catapult ball? A lead weight from a pilum!!!! :roll: (wishfull thinking)

Thanks for the translation!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late-roman marching/temporary Camp at Gellep Simplex 1 119 12-27-2023, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Roman camps UK - is there a database or list? Steve Kaye 55 11,170 01-28-2021, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Alan316
  Many new milatry camps found in Spain. kavan 1 483 12-29-2020, 03:58 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell