Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visiting Britain
Ave Civitas,

I will be visiting Britain in the middle of March.

I am writing a novel set during the last years of Constantine I and those who followed him.

I want to gather as much information about what it was like to be a Roman Soldier and what it was like to be a Roman Citizen during that period.

I hope to walk and touch and taste as much Roman and Native Britain as I can during my week there.

So, I have questions which I hope someone can help with.

1. Where would be the best places to visit for a one-day stop?

2. Without using an auto, what is the best (cheapest - most comfortable - most dependable ) mode of moving from one place in Britain to another?

3. Staying in a One or two star hotel and eating frugally, what can I expect to spend per day (and are weekends different from week days)?

Thanks a lot. I do appreciate your help.
Tom,
PS. What is the best beer?
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
Hello Tom
You could start in London and visit the British Museum and the London Museum. Take the train to Newcastle (Museum of Antiquities) via York (Yorkshire Museum). From Newcastle there is a train service across country following the route of Hadrian's Wall to Carlisle allowing for stops to visit some of the Hadrian's Wall sites such as Vindolanda. From Carlisle take the train back south perhaps to either Chester, Bath or to Cardiff with the nearby Roman Legionary Museum at Caerleon and then back to London. That should about fill up your week.

The trains are generally reliable and on the itinerary I have suggested you are on the mainlines both heading north (East coast mainline) and for the journey south (West coast mainline). Prices for food, meals etc.. in Britain, London especially are more expensive I believe than what you will be used to in the States.

Plan well ahead to book accommodation and train travel as that could save you money. Some Hotels might have different rates at week-ends or even expect you to stay for two nights so again check in advance. For most countries you can expect what the weather will be like at a certain time of year so you can guess what clothes to pack. What the weather in Britain in March will be like is any-ones guess you could expect all the seasons in a single day! As for beer try as many varieties as you can and make up your own mind, that is part of the fun!
Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Tom,
Consider also the coach services here, not as qiuck or direct as the trains but they can be a lot cheaper. Try National Express, they're the main company here.
Bed and Breakfast around here (Suffolk) you can get from £21 per night up but this is a rural location, £35 seems to be the norm.
Weekends can be cheaper for hotels/motels as they capitalise on the business travellers during the week, travel can be cheaper as well, you pay full price for travel before about 0930 weekdays.

Enjoy your time here!

Lawrence
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
Ave Civitas,

Thanks for your reply.

Your itinerary seems pretty good, Graham. I believe that at Vindolanda there is a reconstructed site. Do you know, off hand, how long it would take to visit Vindolanda?

The bus sounds good. I will see if I can find the National Express on the internet and see what their schedules are, Musivarius.

Thank you both,

Lothia
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Hello Tom

Vindolanda has a short section of Hadrian's Wall with a turret reconstructed along with a turf wall and gate. The museum is packed with goodies but not the writing tablets which are kept in the British Museum although not on display. The fort site itself with attached Vicus is well preserved so you could easily spend all day there. The nearest station is Haltwhistle a few miles away and at the time of year you wish to go they might not run the local bus service (no 122!) which connects most of the well known wall sites. I know a good place to stay in Haltwhistle if you wanted to do a bit of walking and stop there overnight.

There are other reconstructions nearby at South Shields which has a Stone Gateway, Commanders house and Barrack Block. Or Wallsend which boasts a full size Bath-House and another replica section of Hadrian's Wall. Both sites are easily accessible from Newcastle and can be visited in a single day by a combination of train (The local Metro) and ferry across the Tyne river which can all be included in one ticket.

As Lawrence said the National Express coaches are much cheaper but if you are short of time the trains are faster. For example London to York is two hours by train but can be over five hours by coach. As I said you will need to plan things well in advance.
Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Good luck with your research Tom! I'll be looking forward to your novel. Smile
I bet you'll have a great time as well!

I've wanted to visit northern England since I was a wee kid, especially to see Hadrian's Wall -- there's so much history to immerse yourself in!
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Ave Civitas,

Boy, busy week.

Thanks for all your replies.

I will take your recommendations when I am planning my itinerary, Graham. I will be making my detailed plans sometime in October so will be buying my tickets then.

Senovara, If you have any specific information, photo's, etc, that I can get for you while I am there, let me know. I would be glad to help. I can probably scan them and then e-mail what I bring back.

Thanks for your help.

Lothia
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  visiting britain jvrjenivs 9 1,699 04-14-2009, 05:22 AM
Last Post: jvrjenivs