Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
visiting britain
In advance of the upcomming Corbridge Roman event I'm planning to add a couple of days in the UK in advance. Now, I'm planning that, I really get lost in what to visit. I'll travel by train.

I've 7 or 8 days, so I was thinking about starting in London (BM). The end will be at corbridge, of course. Brian already invited me for a tour along the wall, so that will be in the days before the event. So, I've 2 or 3 days between London and Corbridge. What should I visit?

Also, anyone up for a drink in the pub or meet up at any place along my trip is welcome Big Grin
ALA I BATAVORUM
Hi,

Wroxeter is worth a visit, and you also have Bath. York is lovely, not just for Roman stuff, but for all ages and is well worth a day out.
Hope you enjoy your visit!
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
Jurjen. If you are visiting London it might be a good thing to stop off in York, this is about half way between London and Newcastle. This is the ancient Eboracum and some of the sites to see would be the Minster for in the celars of this huge church you have parts of the Roman period. Then there is the ancient streets in the shopping area known as the Shambles, then also you could visit the Yorvic Center where you find that beneeth this museum ther are the Viking City remains.
Then also you have a selection of the various Museums with parts of the ancient Roman City Walls, and also there is the famous Railway Museum. If you go to the tourist information I'm sure they may help as far as maybe cheaper day tours.
Brian Stobbs
Wroxeter, York and especially Bath are quite good suggestions so far.

It´s a shame that you´ve decided to start your tour at London, because I quite often visited Canterburs on my first day when hitting off the ferry. And the south of England is worth a journey, too: The mosaics at Lullingstone and Bignor Roman villa. Or Fishbourne...
And in the SouthWest there is the Dorset County Museum, which has a lot of interesting finds (Maiden Castle...).

But when travelling from London heading north, you might want to visit Ribchester. Or just in the north of London St.Albans - the museum there has many interesting finds!

And don´t miss the Museum of London (once they had a very interesting exhibition 'Roman Londinium' and the Roman bikini pants on display there...), don´t just visit the BM! 8)

Anyway, I´m getting jealous...
---------------
All the best,
Frank.
I'm starting in London as I'm travel there by plane. I already visit Cantebury some years ago. (which I found a very lovely town with a very nice cathedral!) Actually that was the first city I've visited in England. The museum of london was already on the list.

Anyway all thanks for your tips so far.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Okay, I'm arriving at London on may 19th and will stay in the city for 2 or 3 days I think. Anyone up for a drink of a meet up. I'm not sure about the rest of my travel, yet.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Hi Jurjen,

If you are anywhere near to the city of Chester (Deva) you will certainly be welcome to meet up with the Deva Victrix and get "the Tour"

Pity you are not over a week later as we have our Minerva Festival on the 31st but never mind.

Regards,

Gary.
\\" I just need something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live.\\" Q.O.T.S.A

Gary Rodwell
aka Gaius Longius Deva Victrix Chester Garrison
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.romantoursuk.com">http://www.romantoursuk.com
Maybe I can visit Chester on Friday the 22th.

I'm now thinking about the following
19th - 21th: London
22th: Chester
23rd: York
24th onwards: Wall area

Any comments or more meet-ups?
ALA I BATAVORUM
I think you are going to cut yourself short on that schedule, Jurjen.
But anyway, look forward to meeting you at Corbridge.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I think you are going to cut yourself short on that schedule, Jurjen.
But anyway, look forward to meeting you at Corbridge.

Yeah, I know, reason to go back next year, I guess. I already let out Colchester, Ribchester, Bath, st. Albans and all that is in the south of London.
ALA I BATAVORUM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Visiting Britain Lothia 6 2,105 09-17-2007, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Lothia