Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greece on fire
You get a minimum 15 years for one murder.
They face lifetime imprisonment for a massive thing like this.

The investigation will be humpered because we have elections on 15th September and heavy politics are on this but I leave it here, least I break forum rules.

Kind regards
Slate has a very interesting article about forest fires and the damage they can do: you can find it here.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
The professor I work for, David Romano, whose dig I was on this summer, was one of those consulted for the Slate article Jona posted; I'll talk to him to see what he thinks about setting up a fund. It might be possible to do something through the Archaeological Institute of America.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
My grandfathers birthplace, Kalydona, was burnt to the ground, the farm gone. fortunately, my relatives escaped. and have a home to go to in another village.
My relatives in athens say the fires, 186 or so, started within 2 hours of each other.

Heard from my mother tonight they had arrested 7 people.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
A special fund has been set up so individuals could make donations. Anyone wanting to donate money can do so by visiting the branch of any commercial bank and making a deposit in Account No 2341103053 of the Bank of Greece.

The following info might also be required:

Bank of Greece
21 E. Venizelos Ave., GR-102 50 Athens
IBAN GR 9801000230000002341103053
SWIFT/BIC: BNGRGRAA
Ioannis Georganas, PhD
Secretary and Newsletter Editor
The Society of Ancient Military Historians
http://www.ancientmilitaryhistorians.org/

I called the local chapter of the American Red Cross today for donation instructions. You can mail, or drop off, a check to your Red Cross local office, and in the memo section of the check write "Greece Fires". The funds will be forwarded to the International Red Cross.

This is an addition route to donate in addition to the account cited by Ioannis.

Dan's suggestion of the Archaeological Institute of America, of which I am a member ,as well as Ioannis, and I presume Dan, and other members, sounds like an excellent prospective for Archaeological resource protection fund management.

Ralph Izard
I think i will donate directly to the greeks myself.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote: fortunately, my relatives escaped. and have a home to go to in another village.

Oh, thank goodness your relatives are ok!

I've been keeping up on the news about the fires and I hope all the RAT Grecian members and their families are alright.

Sad
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Thanks Sharon.

I met so many wonderfull people when I was there, and can't help worrying about their predicament.

The same for the members on here, I hope you are all ok, and your family and friends.

Thy havenot been mentioning it on the news here for some reason....
You would think that a country so many British people go to for holiday, and to buy second homes, they would have more coverage? Strange how the networks prioritise things? :?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel