Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re-enactment individual insurance
Not something that crops up often, if at all. Insurance. How many stories do we hear of pugiones going missing, etc....

Came across this company that offers policies tailored for individuals, including a £5 million public liability insurance. They explicitly don't cover groups, and are UK only.

http://www.re-enactorguard.co.uk/

This might be a good thread to post insurance policies? It can't hurt at least.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Tarbicvs yes I agree this is a sticky point for groups and individuals I hope it puls in some thoughts Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Someone else mentioed Reenactment insurance, possibly in the RMRS site! But yes, it would be a good idea! I had a pretty nice crest holder dissappear last year, at my first event. and I have heard of other people who have had things go on an unauthorized mission.

Now that I have considered what I have spent, the idea makes a lot of sense!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Anyone know of a US version of this? I have thousands of dollars and countless hours invested in my 14th century kit. Now that I am contemplating Roman it will add up even more.
Doug Strong
[url:xl2j37u3]http://talbotsfineaccessories.com/[/url]
[url:xl2j37u3]http://www.armourresearchsociety.org/[/url]
Most household or renters insurance policies also cover camping and hobby equipment/gear - up to set limits. And an additional rider can usually be added to cover things that are worth more than that basic limit. But be prepared to list/document the specialty "toys". They really do add up!

A lot of vehicle insurance policies also cover theft/loss of contents from the insured vehicle. Again, with set limits. But some do cover loss when you are "camping". It all depends upon the company and the policy.

The bigger worry these days is personal and/or group liability insurance. Almost all events have their own liability insurance. But many are requiring that any groups or individuals attending also have proof of liability insurance. With all the people and lawyers playing "lawsuit lottery" these days, you really need it.

An even worse trend has become more common with many events. They are now requiring that any group/individual attending must add the event/site as co-insured on their own policy! (as if you and/or your group were covering the whole event with your insurance!) So your own policy would now cover anything that happens at the site or during the event in addition to the policy the site and organizers have! And, surprise surprise, these sites/events are loosing participants and can't understand why! Which then leads to raising fees to cover the same costs - which drives more participants away - which means more money must be raised from fewer people - and fewer public attending because there is less to see - and the vicious cycle goes on and on until the event shuts down. And it all starts by dumping on the participants until they decide to just stay away. Most of the sites/organizers never can comprehend how they killed off their own event - but always go out of their way to blame everybody else. That co-insured scam is just one of the latest quirks.

Insurance - legalized extortion! Pay us to protect you in case anything happens. But we'll only cover you if X, and Y, and Z - and then only if it's the second full moon in the month when no leaves fall off any tree - etc. etc. - until we can weasle out of paying off anything.

Unfortunately, it's all become a ... necessary evil.

The 1870's cowboy/old west club that I belong to got our insurance through a company called Carpenters. But a year or two ago, they got bought out and are now part of the NRA gun club insurance system. So any new policy through them must also meet the NRA affiliated gun club rules/guidelines. Carpenters was a great insurance company that specifically covered hunting/sporting/gun clubs, their ranges, and HISTORICAL REENACTMENT GROUPS. Now there are many many more "hoops" to jump through just to get a policy.

A friend belongs to a 17th century French Marine unit based in Canada. They have their groups insurance policy through Lloyd's of London. Not cheap, but they and all their individual members are covered when they attend any site/event either in Canada or the U.S.

So it goes, in this modern legal society.

Just my humble thoughts to share.

Mike - out in the Hinterlands of NE Iowa
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
How would you go about getting something you built insured? Would you need receipts showing the material costs?

I don't think I kept mine...lol.

Legion: TBD
Quote:How would you go about getting something you built insured? Would you need receipts showing the material costs?

I don't think I kept mine...lol.
Matt, work out how much it would cost to rebuild, or have rebuilt. So price up materials, labour, etc. You insure for the replacement value, not a retrospective loss of what you spent.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:How would you go about getting something you built insured? Would you need receipts showing the material costs?

Okay, I must admit I only know how this is done in The Netherlands. But because I had about 10.000 euro modeltrain layout with I was joining some events it was all insured pretty well. We had to give up all the costs of the materials and bought items, and could every hobby hour spent on building it insure for Euro 7,50 a hour. Not that much money, but it is hobbytime. So in the Netherlands, at least by the company my stuff is insured, it is possible.
ALA I BATAVORUM
If you make a claim for small fiddly bits, it probably wouldn't even meet the deductable. For major losses in the US most home-owners insurance offers some protection. Of course any claims made will increase your rates in future years. So unless you have a major or catastrophic loss, it often pays to just bite the bullet and take the loss.

If you have major assets to protect, an umbrella liability policy is a good idea. If you don't have major assets, it probably isn't worth the cost. After all not even a lawyer can get blood from a stone. Though they still might try.
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
I sense an underlying tone of neg-waving about insurance. :wink: It's up to the individual I guess, and we all have different experiences of insurance companies.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I'm all for insurance. It's just hard to get a company to insure a group, since there are all kinds of possibilities, with different members, etc. A normal business insurance plan won't work.

For liability, I don't think there's anything better than a blanket insurance policy. It seems more likely, though, to be able to get a policy for a specific event, since the parameters are smaller than for a year's worth of protection. Basically, property insurance is a separate issue, and separate sort of thing. It's more difficult in the States to get that kind, we found out, since there's difficulty proving that the goods were actually stolen, instead of just "loaned" to a friend to collect. Fraud leads to stiffer rules, which encourage fudging on the rules, ad infinitum.

Quote:Tony: After all not even a lawyer can get blood from a stone
They might can get from from a hematite, you know. Just gotta squeeze harder....hi, Tony.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:I sense an underlying tone of neg-waving about insurance. :wink: It's up to the individual I guess, and we all have different experiences of insurance companies.

Not so much negative, just looking at the situation realistically. Any claims, even small ones, increase the likelyhood that there will be future larger claims. Therefore the insurance company needs to raise their rates to protect themselves. Therefore don't report small claims. They just aren't worth it.

Deductables are deductables. Almost all policies have them. The higher the deductables, the more you save on the rates. And the larger the loss necessary to trigger coverage.

Liability insurance is to protect what you have. If you don't have anything (reletively) you don't need a large umbrella policy. That would be like buying a lottery ticket for someone else. Buying a whole lot of lottery tickets.

I am a firm believer in insurance to protect my ass from disasters. But don't sweat the small stuff.

Group insurance? I don't have any personal experience. It could be a good idea. Or it could be protecting reletively limited assets, and simply duplicating personal coverage that members already have or don't need (see above.) Just because you've paid for coverage twice, doesn't mean the insurance companies pay out twice.
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
The Living History Association also provides insurance for its members in the US.

Lucianus
L.E. Pearson

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Re-enacting Insurance! Gaius Julius Caesar 18 4,242 02-25-2008, 02:37 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Insurance Liabilities for Spectator Injuries Lucius Cornelius Traianus 7 2,470 08-22-2005, 09:51 PM
Last Post: Crispvs