Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coppicing trees for spear shafts and other tools
Now now Gaivs lets not be to hasty :lol: There is a lot more going in the area but I will Reveal all a bit later :lol: :lol: He He.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Hibernicvs I not one to sicken anyone but this is the source of the hardwood for our Ballistas Big Grin
[Image: arnsided.jpg]
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Salve Hibernicvs,

I have no idea of your surroundings, but a good bet is getting someone from the park service or a company dealing with forest maintenance involved. Coppicing takes place as a natural process after the thinning of ash and hazel groves. Trees cut down and not "treated" will produce coppiced upshoots. See if they can point you to an area they thinned about five to eight years back and you should be able to find spontaneous shoots developing from the stumps left.

Carefull whom you call you bastardii... , most men that have so adressed me walk in the afterlife and all others bare the scars of an ill aimed arrow :lol:
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote:Those are Roman bridges!(he says with total coviction) just look at the arches!
Well that explains why I have a tendency to wander...my feet have arches, so they must be roamin'...uh, Roman.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Hardwood copse in your backyard? ...argh!!

If I call you good gentlemen bastardii it comes with a price.. one I am quite willing to pay! .. a liquid price to be sure, and often amber coloured....

I'm working on some resources for acquisition of usable green wood... but most of the usable wood around here is on Federal or State land... either as forest preserves of some sort or another, or military bases. I'm screwed!

About 4200 sq mi or 11000 sq km .. huge!
But....
1/3 desert (the sand and cactus kind)
1/3 mountains
1/3 coastal valleys and foothills

2/3rds of all of that owned by the government
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
This is another Copice I walked through on holiday and it is still worked Free wood again Big Grin
[Image: copice001.jpg]
This is the beautiful setting its in.
[Image: copice002.jpg]
As you can see the managed trees .
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
The white British boxes with red Xes inside look surprisingly like American ones Tongue .
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
And I would like to remind you of your promise to tell more about those nice arches.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Quote:And I would like to remind you of your promise to tell more about those nice arches.

Dittioius!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
HA its related to the largest Fort in the North of Britannia ,and will be on Time Team next year.15 acres of it the walls are nearly the height of the walk way Big Grin lol: te he.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Are you trying to tell us these arches ARE Roman or could be ...??? Confusedhock:
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
I think he's trying NOT to tell us anything at all, just make us wiggle with anticipation. That's what I think.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Robert the arches might be Roman :?: they are in a area north of the Castra ,they may be associated with industrial purpose. the stream through the copice has a one time been channeled under a paved surface.
The place is Vinovia this is a view of it.
[Image: binchester1.jpg]
The brown field and the lower green field are on a possible massive Iron age hill fort they are slight traces of ditches around the perimita. The fort is roughly in the middle with the buildings on the green field the rest is covered in buildings and I mean covered.The buildings extend beyond this area into the surrounding fields and the aquaduct has running water through it .There is so much to tell so Ill post some pics when I can Big Grin D
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Thats sounding very interesting! Finally squeezed enough did we? :lol: What era fort is it? Fortress? Any id on units based there?
When is the Time Team program going to be on? Big Grin
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Giavs Ill get back to you just came in from the workshop need to look up a few things Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wood for spear shafts! Gaius Julius Caesar 20 9,987 05-29-2008, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Got Ourselves Some Oak Trees Hibernicus 12 2,754 01-14-2008, 06:32 AM
Last Post: Hibernicus
  Should spear shafts be tapered like a pool cue? Sassanid 30 6,719 09-24-2006, 04:38 PM
Last Post: ShaneA