Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st century BC Centurion question
Just a foot note the Hamata took about 15 days to make when I worked it out at aprox 8 hours a day, size 3 needles just the job :lol: :lol: it is 1/4 " diameter rings.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Quote: So please keep :lol: at my expression plus huge nose :lol:

Hmmm a huge nose eh! Well, until you mentioned it....... :lol: :lol:
Just kiddin'

Do you know a good source of leather here in the UK, as I seem to have lost the details I had on my old computer? I was trying to source it locally but to no avail! :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Gaivs :lol: no problem ,on a lighter note I get my leather from a place in Pons Aelivs ( Newcastle ) Le Prevo Great place I can fondle the leather before I buy , and he can advise on leather that would be sutible for the job. Sorry dont have a bill with website on but will PM if I come across Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
I have hung my head in shame :oops: bowing to superior knowledge and yes, its very Hellenistic all round. Glad Tony at least cut me some slack on the position of the gladius.
I will be posting my new Batavian impersion soon and invite ALL comers to cut me down to size. But then, I pledge to also offer a How to thread on a leather auxillia subarmalis to regain favour AND vow to send Crispvs some pugio snaps of a really interesting, be it older, Nijmegen find of a very "makeable" brass scabbard with plates front and back.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Robert no need to hang your head in shame, it was a good point you made,it is a bit, high but on the day you cannot make adjustments to make it fit ,when your workshop is a couple 100 Km s away. I now carry allsorts in my seatbox .I end up doing a lot of repairs for groups on site ,these things happen.You learn from mistakes Big Grin Like I said it was 17 years ago and I am glade it still looks good with todays critical eye.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
I still seenothing wrong with the height of the gladius :wink:

Scale this one up to proper proportions and see where the top of the pommel would be - very ironically, considering the legionary wearing it.
http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/ ... temid,135/
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Tarbicvs I agree but when I put it on I relised it was a bit high for me ,But I could still withdraw it easily, its that comfort thing it felt great when I just had a teeshirt on Big Grin but when you put on a wool tunica , svbmarlis, and double layer of Hamata it lifted it a bit to much for me. You are right they are higher than later periods which I made a slight error on mine.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Quote:I have hung my head in shame bowing to superior knowledge and yes, its very Hellenistic all round. Glad Tony at least cut me some slack on the position of the gladius.
I will be posting my new Batavian impersion soon and invite ALL comers to cut me down to size

That's the spirit!
"In war as in loving, you must always keep shoving." George S. Patton, Jr.
....am also highly impressed by the panoply, Tony. Since exactly how high or low a soldier wore his gladius was probably a matter of personal taste ( especially for the centurion Smile ), neither Robert or you should be overly concerned, I think !!
Are you wearing a 'sub-armalis' or are the 'pteryges' fastened to the mail ?
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Ave Bill,

Concerning those bright red shoulder doublers of Tony's, overall... do not be afraid of color, every single time armor is mentioned in ancient writings they always refer to bright, gleaming, shinny, polished, etc, etc... not brown or black or dull.

The traces of paint on Augustus' statue's armor show whites, golds, reds, and blues... nothing is dull, nothing.

Tony's impression is awesome, those red doublers are kick-a$$-cool! Those gold thunderbolts on is doublers are seen all over Roman motif, from sword scabbards to shields to the cheek guards of the Praetorian's helmets, very common, very COOL and very authentic.

As far as Hellenistic influence goes... for the Romans... it's seen all over, from the Attic Helmets of the Praetorian Guard to Caesar's boots, to Germanicus' Parazonium... Hellenistic influences where everywhere in Ancient Rome!

My only critic of Tony's impression is... (:oops: sorry Tony but :oops: ) he has too few Pteruges however; almost everyone Recreating does this for some reason so, he's not alone.... and perhaps he's added a few over the past 17 years? :wink:

Seriously though, every example in Roman sculpture of everyone with Pteruges, dangling off their shoulders or around their waists, had rows of Pteruges, usually three rows, each off slightly off center. That's why in statues you never see the tunic through the Pteruges.

Roman's did not have 10 Pteruges going all the way around their waist, with gaps in between them, like most in recreation today. They had 30, 40, 50 Pteruges, and two rows at the very least... and most show at least three rows, sometimes more.

Below are a few examples:

[Image: primaportadet15a.jpg]

[Image: loricatamassimo3det3a.jpg]

[Image: antpiusdet3a.jpg]
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]
Glad you said that Tony, I have been tempted to say it for a while, but felt should say nothing due to my limited recall on most things I spout off about.

But yes, that I will agree with, some really great impressions are let down by the limited amount of pturges! :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Note that in the second photo of Brennius' impression, at rest, the pteryges actually meet at the front. Maybe they could do with more in number, but this is a Caesarian not Imperial impression, and certainly not a much later Emperor or very high ranking statesman.

Another later centurion (Chris Haines):
http://www.museen-aalen.de/fm/335/Centu ... 0Guard.JPG
http://www.uni-saarland.de/fak3/fr39/Ca ... nturio.jpg

And a nice illustration showing a similar Republican centurio (by Adam Hook?):
http://es.geocities.com/orgenomescos/ar ... turio1.jpg
Without pteryges, but gives something to compare against.

I don't see an issue with Brennius' version, given he is Caesarian. The longer hamata would provide protection where an upper row of pteryges would be, and I think it's often inappropriate to apply images of Emperors to Republican soldiers. We can use the detailed statues for ideas of textile and construction, but the form itself may be a bit misleading for earlier periods and those of different rank. If Brennius' looked like an Emperor's then I'd say it would look wrong.

If we go back to an Augustan centurion, Caelius, we can see two rows of pteryges. But the important thing is he is wearing a shorter cuirass (musculata or hamata, the latter IMHO).
http://www.vroma.org/images/mcmanus_images/caelius.jpg
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
That is what I had in mind, but I feel if peturges are used, there would be more coverage, ie for added protestion as well as appearance.

Caelius' period is not that far removed from ceasar, but I suppose it was a period of change.

Who makes the shorter mail cuirass? That has been on my want list for some time!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Who makes the shorter mail cuirass? That has been on my want list for some time!

You can just buy one and make it shorter yourself. That's not difficult:-)
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
That had occured to me as well, but if some one does it better, why re-invent the wheel! Smile
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Secondary sidearm for 4th century centurion M. Val. Naso 19 4,507 09-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  2nd century centurion Ioannis 21 7,663 01-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Ioannis
  First Century Hammer Question Titus Tiberius Crispus 2 1,517 02-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Last Post: D B Campbell