Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st century BC Centurion question
Could someone tell me what type of helmet crest, if any would have been worn by a centurion on a Montefortino helmet in the 1st century BC? Thanks.

Mauis/Bill
Marcus Petronius Maius
LEG XIIII GEMINA COH VI
Good question!

I am guessing a horsehair/tail one, but I am sure I have heard of transverse crests being used then as well! I hope so, as I am having grat ideas for one(whether I can ever achieve what I imagine is another thing entirely!! Sad
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
If I can find a pic of me in my Caesarian centurian kit I will show you Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
HA HA I have found them please dont :lol: :lol: these were taken about 17 years ago at the Lunt these are the only pics I have,I can put the crest on the helmet but I thought these were funnier ,The crest is a small box with the horsehair parted to either side .If you can stop :lol: I hope this is of use.

[Image: 5.jpg]
[Image: 4.jpg]
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
I think that's one of the best impressions I've ever seen. Got any more pics?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I like those doublers too, is it leather over the maile?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yes, I would say this is quite a strong effort.
"In war as in loving, you must always keep shoving." George S. Patton, Jr.
Brennivs, I agree with Tarbicus, that's an outstanding impression. Thanks for posting the pics. Big Grin

Maius/Bill
Marcus Petronius Maius
LEG XIIII GEMINA COH VI
Hmm, yep, looks good, though I would suggest wearing the gladius a bit lower on the belt. Left is OK for a centurion. The mail is very Gallic, most officers tended to favour Hellenistic tradition, so this may be a point of debate (curas perhaps), although the seg showed up much later in the game. Then again, as the pictures are pertuded to be 17 years old, a galant effort and worthy of praise.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Very nice impression Brennius!

I don't know why the mail would look to Gallic. Those shoulder doublings look awfully hellenistic inspired to me. In some of the sculpture the gladius is seen worn VERY high.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I have seen other doublers similar to that, all depicting Romans, so I see nothing out of place at all! But I would like to know the construction of them, as it is what I was thinking of trying.. not exactly, but I like the finish, looks good!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Hmm, yep, looks good, though I would suggest wearing the gladius a bit lower on the belt.
Why do you say that? Looks good to me, and my gladius, when tied to the belt, is roughly at the same level. It sits tight to the belt, which is nicely in line with the navel. Too many Roman gunslingers around, and that goes for the pugio too.

Quote:The mail is very Gallic, most officers tended to favour Hellenistic tradition, so this may be a point of debate (curas perhaps), although the seg showed up much later in the game.

Hamata's fine, all manner of gallic bits and bobs having been adopted a long time prior to the 1st C BC. How do you know a centurion, of which there were many different ranks, would favour a musculata? There's also no evidence in the record for a centurion wearing a seg.

M. Caelius (9 AD) is wearing a smooth armour, but given the shoulders it's likely to be a hamata, and the paint washed off.
http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/ ... Itemid,94/

Brennius' shoulder pieces are seen on the Ahenobarbus relief, and are often illustrated.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Any chance of a hint Brennus? Big Grin wink: :wink: nudge nudge
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks for all the nice comments on my old uniform Big Grin I had just made the uniform , but I know it needs some updating . I was going to do it for Spain last year but TO many orders to do first.
My helmet is a Monty type C , the mail is copyed from Ahenobarbvs relief , the doublin has mail underneath the motif is my own with the Celtic wheel ,lighting ,wings.As I was portraying the LEG V my favorite Legion from the time , it may be hard to belief but I love the Republic period Big Grin D lol: at my expression plus huge nose :lol:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Indeed, the hamata is just fine. I always thought this shape of shoulder doubling (wether it be just rings, fabric or leather on rings) was hellenisticaly inspired and that is was considered quite stylish by the romans. The same shape as the shoulder yoke on the linothorax.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Secondary sidearm for 4th century centurion M. Val. Naso 19 4,468 09-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  2nd century centurion Ioannis 21 7,591 01-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Ioannis
  First Century Hammer Question Titus Tiberius Crispus 2 1,490 02-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Last Post: D B Campbell