Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disaster strikes Pompeii... Collapse of several walls
Quote:Just 40? With an average of 30 years to every generation?
It makes absolutely no difference to the point. Tongue D
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Sorry, Jasper, that's just not correct !!Theoretical only ! Did you not see my earlier post???

From just a few generations ago, the same ancestors keep popping up in your genetic make-up !

Mind you, it is apparently true that if you go back far enough, the number of ancestors decreases, not increases!

DNA studies back in the nineties showed that we are all descended from just seven females....the so-called "Seven Daughters of Eve" - see the book by Professor Brian Sykes of the same name, which led to the booming industry ( on the net) whereby you send off a DNA sample to any of the laboratories offering the service, and they will tell you your complete DNA history !!
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Hi Paul
Ooops, missed that, sorry. It was more meant as a silly mathematical exercise anyway. Big Grin Nerdy me gets fascinated by number games sometimes.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
So let's see. A digest of some of the below statements:
* The building that prompted the "Italy should be conquered" spiel wasn't the building it was supposed to be but they should be conquered anyway, since they have no interest in their heritage. Confusedhock:
* All the agencies (except Robert, of course) who could/should confiscate the ruins and archeology/preservation are corrupt, including the governments, but we should give them money to take care of the business they aren't taking care of with the money they have. Sad
* Someone who is angry should publicly vent their anger and hurl accusations, and everyone else should not take it literally. Even if literally seems to be the reasonable way to interpret a straight statement. :?
* All of us who have European ancestry are cousins. Aha! Idea So all this turns out to be nothing more than a family disagreement. Pompeii is in Southern Italy. When I lived in Southern Italy (admittedly way back in the 20th Century AD), these things were generally settled out in the street, publicly so everyone could hear, with a lot of nose to nose shouting and arm waving and hand gestures for a while, then finishing off with a glass of wine, then everybody went home to dinner.

* Is it dinner yet? Nice antipasto and vino, then spaghetti ala Bolognese, then veal piccata with primavera vegetables, followed by a crisp salad with basalmic vinaigrette. Then a spumoni with a cup of caffe' freddo (correcto con cognac) and we all go to the beach on Ischia for a late night swim...did I miss anything?

On behalf of many, I offer apologies to our Italian members for the offenses that you have probably suffered here. None of us are really very responsible for what our governments do or don't do. None of us are able to fix things, no matter how much we might want to, as we're all engaged in the business of keeping alive and healthy as possible. Voi amo, amici e fratelli, mi dispiacche tutto de questo conversatione qui. :roll:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:All the agencies (except Robert, of course) who could/should confiscate the ruins and archeology/preservation are corrupt,
No, it´s mostly the political class.
Quote: but we should give them money to take care of the business they aren't taking care of with the money they have.
No, we should give money to those that aren´t. ^^
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:All the agencies (except Robert, of course) who could/should confiscate the ruins and archeology/preservation are corrupt, including the governments, but we should give them money to take care of the business they aren't taking care of with the money they have. Sad
Nope, sorry, but I'm hopelessly corrupt as well. Comes with the job of god-emperor and the absolute power that came with it. :mrgreen:
So yes, give me all your money and I promise I'll do exactly the same as your current government. Honest. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
:lol: :lol: Exactly the same, only better, right?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Demetrius, a lot of my Italian friends were not insulted, but even agreed with the taking over of Italy bid.

Jasper, indeed we are all related because we descended from the animal known as Ape. Furthermore the fact that we all are family should prevent us from killing one another, however, we are worse than animals, we kill for sport and not out of necessity.

Vortigern, the money you need is needed to support your legions who otherwise will depose you.

Demetrius (2) these things were generally settled out in the street, publicly so everyone could hear, with a lot of nose to nose shouting and arm waving and hand gestures for a while, then finishing off with a glass of wine, then everybody went home to dinner.

Sadly it is too cold for that here in Germania Inferior and i wish it were so. As "Terrone", a nickname one of my Northern Italian ladyfriends once gave me since she thought me to be a Sicilian, I would love to see more of the Italian social culture here. Not the corruption, not the Berlusconi clown, nor the Cosa Nostra.

Romans were proud of their history and heritage, modern day Western man is not. Even re-enactors are often seen as freaks.

Fact remains, the monuments in Italy are crumbling due to lack of interest.

Fact also remains, that if no one ACTS, nothing will happen, and about 150 years after we all have died, not much will be left.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote: we descended from the animal known as Ape.
No we're not HJ. Go get your school money back. :roll:
Apes and we have common ancestors, but we don't descend from the apes.

Quote:Vortigern, the money you need is needed to support your legions who otherwise will depose you.
No they don't. My power is absolute, remember? :wink:

Quote:Fact remains, the monuments in Italy are crumbling due to lack of interest.
Fact also remains, that if no one ACTS, nothing will happen, and about 150 years after we all have died, not much will be left.
Which is why some people argue against archaeology. But it's a simple enough fact, I agree, that all crumbles to dust if no-one acts. And even the pyramids, in a million years, will have vanished. It's a fact of life.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Education in the Netherlands is free, untill you get into the Higher education system, sadly, no money to refund LOL

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Which law is it that says, "Entropy will be maximized"? Second Thermodynamics? I forget my schoolin' from time to time.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
It is easier to break things than to make them.

Check out top cartoon on the right
http://www.sciencecartoonsplus.com/gall ... hys2c.php#
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Funny stuff! :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
And today a section (12 meters long) of wall collapsed from the 'house of the moralist'
[url:19ur476u]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101130/ap_on_re_eu/eu_italy_pompeii_collapse[/url]
ALA I BATAVORUM
I blame society. Morals have been slipping lately.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  collapse of the Western empire eugene 4 1,313 07-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Last Post: Chariovalda