Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disaster strikes Pompeii... Collapse of several walls
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20101106/twl ... d0ae9.html

[Image: r1115321468.jpg?x=400&y=266&q=85&sig=IbZ...ny1W9Qjw--]

THANK YOU ITALIANS !!!

(i am getting fed up with the disregard for monuments in Italy)

Lets hope something good comes from this, i just heard the discussion is raging again within the country about the deplorable way they conserve their heritage....

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:(i am getting fed up with the disregard for monuments in Italy)
That's a little bit unfair. Italy is responsible for about 1/3 of the UNESCO World Heritage List. Like Greece, the government spends a lot of money to keep the museums open - but they just cannot protect everything.

Personally, I can live with the collapse of an ancient ruin. I do not like it, of course, but just imagine what a real loss it would have been if, say, Brunelleschi's Dome had collapsed. That would have been a disaster. Let the Italian authorities focus on the really important monuments. Once the Scrovegni Chapel collapses, I will immediately agree; but until then, I think the Italians are doing a pretty good job.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Indeed, all the murals of this home were not a treasure anyway.. you are sooo right... :twisted:

No Jona, The Italian government does NOTHING whatsoever to protect their monuments or even their heritage.

I wont make this into a modern day political thread, however i think the UN, EU, Unesco or some other organisation containing people who
know a little bit better how to govern or even how to conserve monuments or who at least care should take that country over and put it under their direct rule.

At this moment the country itself is not governed at all.

We are all so critical of Greece, while this problem has been festering on and on and on and on for ages.

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/wor ... 95/?ref=nf

Spotted this just before your thread Henk.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Both Pompeii and Herculaneum are in a serious need of better protection as they continue to decay badly.
Monuments and materials conservation is, sadly, not all that high priority anywhere. In fact, it only tends to get centre stage when something goes wrong. It is not quite as "sexy" as putting out papers or adding yet another monument to a heritage list...all the while providing no or little money to actually preserve all that heritage.

We need another boost to conservation efforts the way it happened in the eighties. And we definitely need more conservation science research funding, to find better long-term solutions to heritage preservation.
http://www.corriere.it/cronache/10_nove ... tml?ref=nf

Click on the photos for a slide show of the damage.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The former British School at Rome director Prof. Andrew Wallace-Haddrill has been a strong advocate for preserving what we have uncovered rather than excavating new areas: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/feature ... drill/119/
Lindsay Powell
[url:1j6646pm]http://www.Lindsay-Powell.com[/url] website
@Lindsay_Powell twitter
While watching the documentary i became angry again when seeing the skeletal remains overgrown by moss....

I vote for an immediate and all out conquest of Italy. :mrgreen:

Lets hope what happened in Pompeii, combined with the collapse earlier this year in Rome itself will change opinion in Italy and the world...

If only there was a (political) party strong enough to turn the tide... however when seeing the garbage crisis... i have a hard head in things ever changing out there....

Apart from that, the UN should probably step in.

I partly agree with the "non excavation in order to preserve for later generations with better techniques policy" like we have here in the Netherlands.

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:The former British School at Rome director Prof. Andrew Wallace-Haddrill has been a strong advocate for preserving what we have uncovered rather than excavating new areas: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/feature ... drill/119/

Yes, he's been saying that for quite a while, but unfortunately not enough people seem to be listening to him.
Time marches on. Mary Beard in her Pompeii: Life of a Roman Town points out that most modern visitors are unaware that many buildings have already been destroyed twice. There was the ancient earthquake a few years before the eruption, the volcano itself, some ancient looting, rough early excavations, modern mistakes at restoration, Allied bombing during WWII...
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Indeed. I have commented here on RAT a number of times on the very rapid rate of deterioration over the years of Pompeii and Herculaneum, and how even in the (relatively) short time I have been visiting the place ( 1975 - present), the sites have been deteriorating and going from perhaps their peak, to graffiti covered, visibly rotting ruins - especially Herculaneum which, when excavated was "as new", but is now in a state of 'crumbling', with much of it closed off to visitors......
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:I vote for an immediate and all out conquest of Italy.
That's on beyond extreme, isn't it?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:
Quote:I vote for an immediate and all out conquest of Italy.
That's on beyond extreme, isn't it?
A bit so. I vote for immediate takeover of all ancient monuments listed by the UN. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Under whose control would those areas be? I can't think of a funded organization that's honest and credible enough to be trusted with those treasures: there are literally thousands of them. Most every large entity is so riddled with graft and corruption that the more valuable articles would still be pilfered and go to private hoards, I think. The selective protection of various ancient monuments/sites would still go on, and would likely be used as leverage against governments to make them comply with some goal or ideal...

But lest I drift into modern politics, I'll shut my pie hole and settle back into complacency...silently grumbling, as always.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  collapse of the Western empire eugene 4 1,255 07-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Last Post: Chariovalda