Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recreating a legionair beginning 3rd Century
Thanks, Virilis, I was just curious if you'd done that, or someone else had.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Oh yes, it would be nice to have the skills to sew some more elaborate patterns on the tunics too :oops: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Excellent tunic Dennis, Just like in Grahams book!

I'm afraid my long sleeve tunics are of the 'wider sleeved' variety.....good enough for second century, I hope!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Not a problem if you are correct.
Its usual symbol in a russian traditional culture

It is a Russian rouble Big Grin
[Image: svastik0101.jpg]
It is not a fake.
That's a pre-World War 2 rouble, right? Around or before 1917?

The swastika was used everywhere, including the UK, prior to Hitler's hijacking of the symbol. But like it or not he did so, and it's an offensive symbol in real modern Europe ever since; not just to a few, but to most.

If you display it, just accept the fact that there are many who will find it offensive.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Finnish air forces had blue swastikas as emblems on our planes until the end of world war two. We still have little swastikas on some honorary medals if I remember correctly Confusedhock: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Freaky eh? :|
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:That's a pre-World War 2 rouble, right? Around or before 1917?

The swastika was used everywhere, including the UK, prior to Hitler's hijacking of the symbol. But like it or not he did so, and it's an offensive symbol in real modern Europe ever since; not just to a few, but to most.

If you display it, just accept the fact that there are many who will find it offensive.

If i may say I believe a few real modern europeans see it as an offensive symbol ,most care more about the football scores ,& if you display it,just accept the fact that there are a few who will find it Offensive. we have a term in Australia for the cringe it causes in some circles (many of my people included) " Euro Guilt. "it over .their gone never to return ,the Modern worldwide Idiots who still subscribe to the Ideals of Facism in all its forms remain as a prick to our collective conscience. just ask a Burmese :!: please can we all get back to disscussing matters pre 500AD . ban me if you will . i also reenact WW2 German Fallschirmjager ,some of my relatives pop out the occassional OY!. im interested in the Elite German Paratroops,Brave ordinary Germans , not their Boss of 12 years
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
Kept in context I personally do not see a problem with the use of this symbol. If we're talking antiquity here (which we are, on this particular forum and thread). IMO personal bias does not belong, especially when the topic is not dealing with what happened 70 years ago.

We empower symbols and words with whatever we choose to do so with. It's our choice now...we're 2nd and 3rd generation from WW II. Can we be a bit more professional on this forum when it comes to things being offensive that have a different meaning if used in another context?

Legion: TBD
The aircraft that dropped a bomb on me a long time ago had that symbol on it but I have problems about it as long as it is in the correct context, so what is all the fuss about ?
Brian Stobbs
Oy, everyone, let's get this thread back on topic: 3rd century legionaries.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Ok let's go!!! Smile

So would a long sleeved chain mail shirt and the Del Ein Miedhir helmet be suitable for third century?
Excuse the spelling....
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Let me show you my Niederbieber helm project.
Design-mix by Iron helmet from private collection and Frankfurt Helm.
(Helmet need polishing work also :oops: )
Looks good, Denis Big Grin !

Are you going to add some brass edgings or are you going to make it totally of iron?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
I going brass edgings :wink: and I tining this helm!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  greaves for the beginning of 2nd AD Aurelianus 3 1,431 01-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar