Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ghostly Romans
im also sure ive been mistaken for a ghost on some occasions in various gear, i do think alot of the ghost stories of single spectars seen briefly in places like craggy areas ad mountains may be people trekking in their gear
aka., John Shook
Unaware visitors at a roman archeological site:

[Image: Ghostsoldiers--.jpg]

If you can't see them, you can feel their presence...
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:Unaware visitors at a roman archeological site:

[Image: Ghostsoldiers--.jpg]

If you can't see them, you can feel their presence...

That's so true.....i've often been at an ancient site and felt that if you could only see just a little clearer....you would see...!
I lived in a Roman town for a while and soon after moving in, woke up convinced there were Romans marching at an angle past the window.....and was too scared to look. Later, I discovered that my window was overlooking the site of the fort and the road had indeed run at the correct angle past my window ... Confusedhock: Confusedhock:
But what would most of us do if faced with an obvious ghostly Roman, Celtic/Gaelic warrior, Viking, Greek Hoplite (rather more of a rarity) etc....attempt to communicate, back off a little and study them, hide and peer out from behind the wall, chair or whatever or simply run for your life....lol
I say 'obvious' because at the time, it may not be so obvious.....!
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
That picture reminds me of the time the E.SG. did an impromptu display in Carlisle city centre and none of the public took a blind bit of notice!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:none of the public took a blind bit of notice!
I bet THAT did hurt some egos! :roll:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Graham, remember when we were on DAM square in Amsterdam and the Jehova guy with the microphone got a bit nervous when we all marched on the square?

:lol:

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Was that the same time when in the absence of CH, PK took over as centurio, forgot the latin command for halt and the testudo crashed into a car! Big Grin

G.

Robert, people in Carlisle obviously see Romans marching through the streets all the time!
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
me thinks so!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Well, that doctored pic is from the Ostia event 2003, believe or not that public is practically marching with us, their silence was unreal, just the tinkling of our armours and the caligae pace could be heard. They followed us as following a magic piper... I saw in their eyes some respect, not for us poor reenactors, but towards the soldiers that we unworthyly portrayed...

Valete,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

Quote:Was that the same time when in the absence of CH, PK took over as centurio, forgot the latin command for halt and the testudo crashed into a car! Big Grin
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Was there anybody in the car at the time.....
You can imagine the insurance claim form....'The car was stationery and a cohort of Romans run into me'
ROTFL :lol: :lol:
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Or 'The car was stationery and a "testudo" "run" into me' Big Grin

Vale,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

Burgh Castle, Norfolk
Every year on the 27th April the sounds of clashing swords and Roman and Saxon screaming can be heard in this area.
I wonder what would happen if you went along in full kit and wearing the helm..... :roll: :roll:
Legend has it that the Romans founded Burgh Castle in 100AD. At a time when the land that is now Yarmouth and Gorleston was under the sea, Burgh Castle was the site of the fort of Gariannonum. The fort that stands today was built in the second half of the third century, in response to the threat of attack by Saxon pirates. Garrisoned there was a detachment of the elite Stablesian cavalry from Greece, which had served in Holland and was accustomed to marsh warfare.
The fort was occupied until the fourth century when Constantine III took the troops with him to fight in Europe.
(information comes from: http://www.edp24.co.uk/Content/Postcard ... castle.asp )
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
-
Quote:Burgh Castle, Norfolk
Every year on the 27th April the sounds of clashing swords and Roman and Saxon screaming can be heard in this area.

Ooh! Ever been there, anyone?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hmmmmm, I was bothered by a roman ghost night before last...... Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Could almost see a tribune looming over me, very scary....... Always thought the Romans passed this way on the route to Mons Graupius! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel