Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sculpture from Volterra Museum
Quote:
MeinPanzer:3dnkeb9l Wrote:There isn't a return and it doesn't have rings at the back.

However, why couldn't a helmet with external studs fasten in this manner?
How do you know it doesn't have rings at the back? It's a sculpture, not a real helmet.

How many found montefortinos from a Roman context don't have rings at the back?

Do you mean internal rings or rings attached to the rim?
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
¿Hallado algún ático yelmo como el de la imagen, con anillas en su nuca protector?
El sistema de sometimiento de correas de estos yelmos áticos, esta siempre en el interior de sus cheek piece, en los Montefortinos están siempre en su botón exterior, el interior es liso, por lo que nunca pudo usar este sistema ático de correas.
Señor tabircus, ¿Seria tan amable de poner fotografía de su sistema de sometimiento en el yelmo Montefortino?

Found some attic helmet as that of the image, with rings in his nape protector?
The system of submission of straps of these helmets attics, this one always inside his cheek piece, in the Montefortinos they are always in his exterior button, the interior is smooth, for what this system could never use attic of straps.
Gentleman tabircus, serious so nice of putting photography of his system of submission in the helmet Montefortino?
Moncada Martín, Gabriel / MARCII ULPI MESSALA
Gabriel, is this what you wanted?

[Image: montefortino_straps.jpg]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:one doesn't even have cheek pieces, suggesting that they (and their attachment method) were probably an "invention" of a later Roman sculptor,

Or perhaps the sculptor even showed a Roman method he was more familar with!

All this debate and you have only seen the head, I shudder to think what you will say about the rest of him and his two companions! :wink:

Jim is that you in the photo? You look good for someone who is 77!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Efectivamente Tarbicus, gracias. Veo que las correas no están tensas, y que el yelmo se cae hacia atrás. Yo no tengo un Montefortino ¿Seria usted tan amable de probar mi sistema en su Montefortino y tensar las correas? Yo estaría muy agradecido de esta prueba.

Really, thank you Tarbicus. I see that the straps are not tense, and that the helmet is fallen backward. serious so nice you of proving my system in his Montefortino and tightening the straps? I do not have a Montefortino, I would be very been grateful of this test.
My head was tipped back. But you've got me thinking about the padding. Why must the level of the rim be completely horizontal with the head anyway?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:My head was tipped back. But you've got me thinking about the padding. Why must the level of the rim be completely horizontal with the head anyway?
That's really you? First picture I see of you. Nice helmet btw.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
My Montefortino is fastened under the chin/neck also. It's very comfortable and very secure. I based it on the Pyrrhus bust, but the straps simply would not do what they are shown to do on the bust!

[Image: DSCF2406.jpg]
[Image: DSCF2405.jpg]
Gracias Peroni, ese es el sistema que yo quería explicar, pero mi ingles es realmente malo.

Thank you Peroni, this is the system that I wanted to explain, but my Englishman is really bad.
When i use imperial gallic helmets or coolus, i always cross the leathers before pass into the cheekguards. So the leather pass to the oposite cheekpiece than the point where it comes from the neckguard. In this way, the subjection is stronger than if you put it directly in the cheekpiece from the point of subjection of the neckguard.

It's the same way used by Peroni, but with the other cheekpieces subjection sistem.
Quote:When i use imperial gallic helmets or coolus, i always cross the leathers before pass into the cheekguards. So the leather pass to the oposite cheekpiece than the point where it comes from the neckguard.
Me too. It puts extra strapping on the back of the head.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
HOLY S&*T, Tarbicus reveals his face on RAT! Confusedhock: :lol:

Quote:
marcii ulpi messala:3jqikc43 Wrote:Estimated gentleman graham, Pirro's helmet has the check piece curved, it is not valid for his comparison with the system of fixation of the straps for a helmet of flats check piece.
Pass the strap above the stud, and then under the chin to the opposite cheek piece for fastening. It's easy.

if you look closely at Graham's illustration that's what he's shown, and it works for my montefortino also.

Thats how I did mine too. Well, with a leather lace, not a strap as such.

Ok, just read it again and its not what I did! :roll: Similar but not the same, obviously! :oops:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:The iron fitting is very interesting.

Any clues as to how was it fixed to the finial of the bowl? Bent to shape around the finial? Was it forged/welded around it? Could it be that it was applied before the finial was added?

[Image: DSC03285.jpg]

[Image: AG99small.jpg]

I just note that there is another one of these in the data base:

http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/ ... Itemid,96/
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
It gets better:

[Image: HelmetDB_PlaceNameM-Q_Paris_MA_42a_JPG_small.jpg]

And here's a curious one with a distinctive lion's head on the back (not the same, but worth pointing out for those who haven't seen it):
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
It would seem that there was a great deal more individuality among soldier's helmets in the Republican army than was previously thought!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Montefortino Pictures from Volterra, Bologna... tiberius aemilius naso 5 1,574 01-24-2013, 04:13 AM
Last Post: tiberius aemilius naso