Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olympia museum helmet
A "new" Corinthian from the Persian Wars:
http://www.antiquities.org.il/article_I ... ule_id=#as
Peter Raftos
Who knows it might be the helmet of Antimenidas , brother of the lyric poet Alkeos.
Kind regards
Hey,I just read this article today at 2 o'clock in the morning(waiting my flight in the airport) in the "Istorikes Selides" magazine!Is there any safe way to distinguish the disformed parts of the helmet that were made in battle from those suffered during the centuries?
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
It might be possible. Depends on "how much they allow meddling with it".
Many Museum curators are on the verge on brain stroke when "techies" tumble with equipment.

Kind regards
Nectanebo;
"Since this has turned into a Corinthian free for all, this is my contribution, it's scanned from Dorling Kindersley's "Weapon", click on the thumbnail please. "

With reference to the weights of the helmets quoted in this extract,
early Corinthian helmets were 'softer' and 'heavier', weighing 1.25-1.6kg in the early sixth century--they mostly conformed to the skull e.g the "milos" type I illustrated in 'Warfare in the Classical World".
The late Corinthian first appears around 530 b.c., distinguished by it's central peak and offset from forehead and sides by a curving ridge, and tends to weigh around 0.9 kg, thinner and cold-worked. (c.f. the U.S WW2 steel helmet at 1.11 kg). The real ones are often lighter than Deepeeka's reproduction !
It is correct that thickness varied, being thicker in the nasal ans at the front - a real tribute to Greek armourers skills. Smile
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:A "new" Corinthian from the Persian Wars:

I hope to see more photos of that helmet in the future, the aesthetic details sound pretty cool. Smile
[Image: parsiaqj0.png]
[size=92:7tw9zbc0]- Bonnie Lawson: proudly Manx.[/size]
Quote:
Peter Raftos:2aj5daej Wrote:A "new" Corinthian from the Persian Wars:

I hope to see more photos of that helmet in the future, the aesthetic details sound pretty cool. Smile

I agree! It would have been great if the photos had shown the engraving.
Jim Laukkonen
How common was peacock imagery in greece? I have heard of it connected to Hera, but since the peacock is native to India this must have been imported at some point.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Giannis,

Not sure if you're still looking for pictures of the Olympia helmet, but here's some pics I took last year while at the museum. I couldn't tell exactly which helmet you were wanting (I guessed/hoped the one I had the closeup of), so I included a wider shot I had of the whole display.
Wow! I didn't know they had so many there!

And they had to be shut for renovations when I was there! :evil:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The picture I posted is actually just a few of them! Olympia has a fair number of helmets on display (I think I have photos of at least 2 other large helmet displays and few helmets displayed on their own), but the amazing thing is that what they have out represents only a tiny portion of those they have on site! Turns out just about everyone liked to leave votive offerings (and most often military equipment) at Olympia, making it an amazing repository of military equipment from both Greek and Roman periods. For instance I think there is actually a 5th century BC Etruscan helmet at Olympia, dedicated by Hieron of Syracuse after a victory in 474 BC!
I knew they left dedications in temples, just thought that most had been plundered over the ages....

I always wondered what had happened to the ones that would have been left at Delphi and in the Acropolis in Athens...

It's really great to learn so many are there still! Big Grin
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Jespah2000, at some point in this discussion I realised that the helmet I was looking for was not in the Olympia museum but in Corinth museum.But you cannot imagine how much I appreciate everyone's interest on my research about that helmet.
In any case,I am looking for photos of every such beautiful helmet as the one you posted here,Thanks.
If you have closeups of other helmets from olympia or elsewhere,I'd be interested,too.
By the way,have you uploaded pictures from the Olympia museum like the one above on flickr?I remember seeng similar photos there.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Paul B. wrote
Quote:How common was peacock imagery in greece? I have heard of it connected to Hera, but since the peacock is native to India this must have been imported at some point.
I doubt that the engraving actually depicts a peacock tail, that is likely just the author's description.....when I read this, I envisaged the very common 'fantail of teardrops' incising.................
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
I recall reading that the Olympia temple got so cluttered with old military dedications that something had to be done about it and since the gear was dedicated to the gods it couldn't be sold off. So they buried it as landfill for the construction of a new stadium, thus retaining it in the service of the deities. It couldn't have been more convenient for future archaeologists and armor scholars.
Pecunia non olet

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Olympia Trirreme Q. Vipsanivs Praetextatvs 5 2,356 08-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Q. Vipsanivs Praetextatvs
  Greek kranoi in Olympia Museum Arthes 5 1,915 07-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Last Post: lupus
  Die Angriffswaffen aus Olympia Hoplitesmores 13 3,117 12-11-2005, 02:02 AM
Last Post: Jason Hoffman