RomanArmyTalk
Olympia museum helmet - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Greek Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Olympia museum helmet (/showthread.php?tid=9750)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Olympia museum helmet - Giannis K. Hoplite - 06-23-2007

Hi guys.Does anybody have any photos of this helmet(I took it from Connolly),now in the Olympia museum?I need as many as possible from different angles,but if you have even one of whatever size I would apreciate it.Thanks
[Image: FALANGE4.jpg]
Khairete
Giannis

Re: Olympia museum helmet - Giannis K. Hoplite - 06-25-2007

Thanks much Gioi.However,I'd like pictures of that same corinthian,not generally corinthians.It's because I think when I deside to perchase a helmet from manning,I'll probably want this particular one.But I don't want to order something I don't know its exact shape.
By the way,note that the first picture you posted is not the same helmet with the rest.He,it looks much alike,though.
Khaire
Giannis

Thanks again.Unfortunately i've already checked that photo.I also painted the back to take the shadow and...no,it's not the same...

[Image: altes_136.jpg]

Gioi,the helmet that I painted the wall behind is indeed from Olympia,but it is not the same with the original picture I posted.The first one is narrower and much more beautiful.
I have spent hours in front of the last pics you sent and also of Craig's reproductions.If I didn't order the one from Olympia,this one would be my second choise.But I concluded that I like the Olympian a bit more.After all,It's more historically accurate that I don't have the same helmet as the other re-enactors(most buy that helmet from Craig)
Khaire
Giannis

SORRY!!I have done aterrible mistake.The original photo is not from Olympia!It's from Corinth museum!I spent two days searching for photos from Olympia :evil:

Re: Olympia museum helmet - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-26-2007

That is my favourite corinthian Gioi! Sorry to butt in here, but that is the one I would have Manning make for me! Big Grin roll:

When I was at olympia in '03, the museum was closed for refurbishment! :evil:

Re: Olympia museum helmet - Decebalus - 06-26-2007

Hello Giannis!

If you`re still interested in the first mentioned helmet (even if not from Olympia) here is what I found out:

Findspot: Corinth, North Cemetery, grave 262 (c. 490 BC)

Present location: Corinth, museum (inv. T 3164)

Bibliography:

- American Journal of Archaeology 34, 1930, p. 425, fig. 17
- Illustrated London News, Aug. 9, 1930, p. 247
- E. Kukahn, Der griechische Helm (Marburg/Lahn 1936) p. 92, no. 152
- C.W. Blegen, H. Palmer, R.S. Young, Corinth 13. The north cemetery
(1964) p. 95, pp. 215, no. 262-1, pl. 36,1, pl. 80
- A.M. Snodgrass, Wehr und Waffen im antiken Griechenland (Mainz 1984)
p. 194, fig. 112
- H. Pflug, Korinthische Helme, in: Antike Helme (Mainz 1988) p. 95,
note 127, no. 1

Perhaps it is interesting to note that the helmet British Museum no. 2818
is from the same workshop.

Greets,

Decebalus/Andreas Gagelmann

Re: Olympia museum helmet - Giannis K. Hoplite - 06-26-2007

Decebalus,this is great!Thanks.
A had many photos of this helmet but I didn't know it is the same.(by the way,are you sure it is the same?the cheekpieces anglr looks a bit different)
I have many articles from the Americal journal,I'll search for info in there.
Could you please tell me how you identified it?
Thanks again,
Giannis

PS.What is the helmet from the British Museum no. 2818?Any of those posted here?

I like this version better Big Grin
My version- [Image: Korinth-T3164-klein..jpg] Original version- [Image: KorinthT3164klein.jpg]
After all,it is custom made...and it looks more like the original photo from Connolly

Gioi,what don't you like in this helmet?:evil:
[Image: DSC01155.jpg]

Well,Gioi,The first small picture I posted was not from Olympia as I had said,but from Corinth.Then Decebalus found this photo and I realized I also had the helmet.
Yes it seem they restored it at some point.I also "played" a bit with the cheek pieces and made them come a bit closer near the tip.This way it looks more like the photo from Connolly.
I think it's the most typical Corinthian I've seen(with one ore two others) and is it coincidense it comes from Corinth? Smile
I also found this one.It's black corrosion makes it difficult see the details...
[Image: helmet01.jpg]
Khaire
Giannis

PS.Maybe you got confused because the photo in the seventh message shows a helm from Olympia,not this one from Corinth.

To clear some thing up.The helmet from Connolly is the helmet that you like and I want to buy.The helmet from Olympia has nothing to do with me.The helmet that you like,I like and Connolly shows,is not from Olympia as I first though,but from Corinth.So,finally,I don't need photos of the helmet from Olympia,but photos of this last helmet you posted
Khaire
Giannis

Thank you very much Gioi,for your concern.This is the best photo of the helmet I have so far!With the frontal one I modified a bit.
Khaire
Giannis

Re: Olympia museum helmet - Decebalus - 06-26-2007

Quote:Decebalus,this is great!Thanks.
A had many photos of this helmet but I didn't know it is the same.(by the way,are you sure it is the same?the cheekpieces anglr looks a bit different)
I have many articles from the Americal journal,I'll search for info in there.
Could you please tell me how you identified it?
Thanks again,
Giannis

PS.What is the helmet from the British Museum no. 2818?Any of those posted here?

There are two known examples (in 1988) of the "Hermione"-Group of the third stage of the Corinthian helmet which came from Corinth.
The first one is the already treated one in Corinth Museum.
The second one is this:

Dimensions: height 25,7 cm, length 26 cm, broadness 20 cm, thickness of metal 1-8 (noseguard) mm
Bibliography:
- H.B. Walters, Catalogue of the bronzes in the British Museum (1899) no.
- British Museum London. A Guide to the exhibition illustrating Greek and Roman life (1920) no. 187, fig. 67
- Kukahn 1936, p. 92, no. 151, pl. 4, 1-2
- Pflug 1988, p. 95, note 127 no. 2

The back view of this helmet must be the photo Gioi posted (near chewbacca)

Hope this will not add confusion :lol:

Greets,

Decebalus/Andreas Gagelmann

Yes,I can see the similarities!
Of course this is a more famous helmet,no wonder why,this is in the BM and the other in Corinth...
I still think the other one is more beautiful.
Have you got any other pictures of the "Corinth" helmet?
Thanks again Decebalus
Khaire
Giannis