Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Roman Navy
Quote:Have you already read my paper 'The inswinging theory'?

Aitor

Yes? but i have a problems with transleyting. I have found out about this theory from ildar for a long time. He has come to such conclusion irrespective of you for a long time . He has acquainted me with this theory. I support it too.
Oh yes, I had problems with writing it in English too! (And that probably accounts for some of your problems in translating it... :lol: )

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Ah, even more inswingers - you're becoming a cult! Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Alexander,
The inswinging theory is very old, (XIXth century) far older than Ildar or myself. Big Grin

Robert,
Unfortunately, those objects depicted on the ship are far from being clearly artillery pieces, much less inswinger ones... Sad

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:Alexander,
The inswinging theory is very old, (XIXth century) far older than Ildar or myself. Big Grin

Aitor

I know Big Grin The father of thise theory is Prou/
Quote: much less inswinger ones... Sad

The right mashine is wide enough to be inswinging/ But left masine is smaller/ But we could not see the arms becaurse they maybe inside/ but not outside/
Alexander,
I think that we should first establish, within reasonable limits of doubt, that both objects are catapults. If so, we could then start discussing if they are inswingers or outswingers... 8)

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Ave omnes,

if there were no tripods, I would think about two racks.

Both 'things' look similar and feature a cut-out on the upper side. Reminds me of Viking ships, which crew could lay down the mast or put the oars/rudders on two or three racks in front of and behind the raised mast (while sailing).

http://www.gov.im/lib/images/mnh/heritage/67.jpg

But why is neither a mast nor oars visible then... Sorry, perhaps a silly thought :roll:
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Quote:if there were no tripods, I would think about two racks.
Hmm, yes, but then why so big and obvious, with no other details on deck? They way this is made, I'd say the two objects were of some importance aboard that ship. Artillery was qualify, rack hardly.

Btw, I have no problem with the 'rounded' details - all the lines of that ship are rounded, there's no straight feature on that ship. I think it's artillery.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:
Cornelius Quintus:15u9hng7 Wrote:if there were no tripods, I would think about two racks.
Hmm, yes, but then why so big and obvious, with no other details on deck? They way this is made, I'd say the two objects were of some importance aboard that ship. Artillery was qualify, rack hardly.

Ave Robert,

I agree. I'm still wondering, why there are no mast or oars (being of some importance, too :wink: ).

- Is the main 'message' just symbolic: battleship with artillery? (So anything else isn't necessary.)

- Or shows the relief a battle-ready ship with mast laid down (but where are the oars then?)

- Thinking about a halfway equipped ship also won't be very likely...

With the words from a car-commercial: The Roman navy - a 'classis' of it's own :wink:
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
How about a floating port defence? Does not need a mast or oars, but has defensive capabilities.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Well, look at the plumbob. If this guy wants to show he built warships, he would've built the hull and perhaps artillery as well. Oars could've come from storage.
And I can think of - very few - examples of improvised naval shooting platforms from the Civil War, but why would anyone display them on his tombstone?
Remember this too: Mainz was not a base, nor within the range of the Classis Germanica. This guy was probably a legionary or built ships for the legions there, XXII Primigenia. They certainly had artillery handy!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Avete,

I just read from a new book that during the early Byzantine period the Roman Dromons' main color was red. Do we know if this is true for Roman galleys from earlier times ? Is there mention of an official color for the Roman fleet ?

~Theo
Jaime
To my eyes, the ship closely resembles other depictions of river warships -- c.f. Trajan's column, and the two objects look to me like standard vitruvian catapults (wooden framed).....To interpret them as anchors does not seem very plausible.

What other treasures does the Museum hold ? Tell us more !
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
just for the record...could the devices be a form of the harpax?
-thanks for reading.

Sean

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Navy Reenactment - Late Roman? Nathan Ross 14 7,796 01-16-2016, 02:37 AM
Last Post: lukeuedasarson
  Slave Rowers in the Roman Navy Stackferret 0 1,163 07-13-2015, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Stackferret
  Roman navy Quintus Aurelius Lepidus 1 1,366 05-16-2010, 11:07 AM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis