Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ring Pommel Gladivs
Thanks Jim Big Grin Thanks Robert Big Grin Jim the vast majority of Ring Pommels are round. I know the ring you are useing, It would not take too much work to turn it into a pommel. As you can see in this pic it is round with no flaterned surfaces,
[Image: hermitagekuban1a_2.jpg]
If you look at my other Ring Pommel thread you can see how I made the Heart Pommel,
http://www.romanarmytalk.com/20-roman-re...l?start=45
You can also use square section bar as well. I just used fire bricks and a heating torch to make it. The size of the ring on the new sword is 55mm wide x 60mm long. Now the Pevensey sword in the BM , they sent me the dimentions for the sword and the ring on that is 70mm wide, See below,
[Image: 09160306.jpg]
As Robert says hot metal is addictive :evil: :woot: But you can knock up a former for the general shape to rap round your hot metal if you dont have a anvil Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
This is the sword so far Big Grin
[Image: P9010347.jpg]
[Image: P9010351.jpg]
The sword is finished :lol: Now onto the scabbard. My repousse thread has not had no hits for a locket Sad So they are either not many found or some of the repousse plates associated with Mainz/Fvllvm swords may have been used :unsure: Me think more research :? So back to the grindstone Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Thanks Tony

I think i have a photo of that sword somewhere having been to the British Museum several times. I think the round one would be simple enough and if I used the next size larger hoisting ring I think either the elongated or heart shaped could be made but of it but a lot more metal would need to be removed. Decisions decisions lol

I definitely need to get a torch or build a furnace Robert :grin:
I am nearly finished the scabbard still lots of little bits to do, so hope to finish it within a week.
Regards Brennivs
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Just the ring holders to fit and a suitable face plate for the chape. I hope you don't mind at the moment I have not posted photos, I want to have it finished as it will look better Big Grin On with the chape plate tonight :lol:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Can't wait to see the finished sword!
Samuel J.
Can't wait to see the finished sword! You do great work!
Samuel J.
Hi Fidelis I hope it turns out I have a great faceplate for the chape I dont think it has been done :woot: Only work is slowing me down Cry I have maked out the picture so I will start to ?????? will let you see when finished :evil: :evil:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
The sword and scabbard are finished just the Baldric to put on, it has taken a while but I needed to look into the scabbard fittings I choose the Thracian locket :o and the chape is one I found after months of searching the tinternet very unusual so I have found another two chapes for Pompeiis that are embossed :grin: I will post a few pics as I am busy getting kit ready to do a gig at Binchester this weekend Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
[Image: P7240434.jpg]
[Image: P7240428.jpg]
[Image: P7240432.jpg]
The fittings are silvered and the chape shows a bear hutting scene and in the middle I could not work out if it was another animal or corrosion so I left it off Sad also the original plate was nailed onto the front of the chape but I opted to put it under the guttering. So I hope you like Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Lovely workmanship once again! I think you made the right decisions.

Regards, Sam.
Samuel J.
Gorgeous sword mate! The scabbard looks great as well. I know it was hard work but the result is really nice.

How do you get the design into the ring? Is that etching?

Jim
Thanks Sam and Jim Big Grin Jim the ring was engraved then I brazed silver solder into it, then polished back. The chape I have now three embossed patterns which all look like they have come from Mainz scabbard plates. The locket there are also three types made to the same construction pattern and also salvaged plates so maybe there are others lurking out their, waiting to be discovered. Their is a lot of Ring Pommel Gladivs I have come across the only thing is I have not come across a unit of Sarmation Infantry, so if anyone knows of one please post :-D otherwise it was a fashionable sword to have. I have married the sword with what would be a old type scabbard. Any more thoughts please post otherwise on with finishing another sword :woot:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Great job Tony. I also used the stock removal method and I now realize that you had a lot more work on your hands than doing hot metal work (my opinion) and I did have the choice. I was most impressed with your tooling of the fittings for your scabbard. I have been smothered with many more things that must be done before I can finish my projects on my equipment. Hope to do so in the coming months.
My best to you on a job well done. Keep up the good work.
Manius Acilius Italicus
Bob
Manius Acilius Italicus
AWESOME job! I want one now!

When (approximately) would this have been used, like from c. 150-230 AD or so? Do we know?
Jeffrey A.K.A. PVBLIVS
LEGIO XX VALERIA VICTRIX, MARYLAND
http://www.pinterest.com/jbpopper/

What have the Romans ever done for us? Apart from better sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for US?
Engraved, filled with silver solder and polished back down..... I wouldn't have thought of that but it's a brilliant result. I will however think of this technique in the future :-)

Good work Tony!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sarmatian Ring Pommel dagger brennivs - tony drake 11 3,014 07-24-2017, 09:11 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Ring Pommel Sword Robert 7 2,500 05-02-2017, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Robert
  Pattern Welded Ring pommel gladius leonardod 3 2,046 04-14-2015, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Dan D'Silva