Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phalerae
I'm glad I could help you with the translation Big Grin , and know how frustrating it could be if you don't understand a language.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:I'm glad I could help you with the translation Big Grin , and know how frustrating it could be if you don't understand a language.

I am so happy I was born in the UK..Its the only language I think I could learn.... Big Grin
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

Dying aint much of a living.
Quote:I am so happy I was born in the UK..Its the only language I think I could learn.... Big Grin

Are you kidding me? English is one of the most difficult languages in the western world.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
Quote:
muskitear:3jedvxad Wrote:I am so happy I was born in the UK..Its the only language I think I could learn.... Big Grin

Are you kidding me? English is one of the most difficult languages in the western world.

I must have done really well then... Big Grin
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

@ Muskitear.
I think german is much more difficult than english, although my english is not really good! I hope you found something on the Website?
Marcus Iulius Chattus

Me that ave been what i´ve been-
Me that ave gone where i´ve gone-
Me that ave seen what i´ve seen-
...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
There is a lot of nice work on that site! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:@ Muskitear.
I think german is much more difficult than english, although my english is not really good! I hope you found something on the Website?
Its got some good stuff on there thanks.

I fear my sense of humour is going over some heads Big Grin
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

Quote:
Marcus Athenobarbus:799kqpkv Wrote:@ Muskitear.

Shame on you good sir! :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:
muskitear:2fz9tka0 Wrote:
Marcus Athenobarbus:2fz9tka0 Wrote:@ Muskitear.

Shame on you good sir! :lol:

:twisted:
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

Ok, Before I harass the good women of the local fabric/curtain shop... what exactly are those disks purpose? I know it has Something to do with curtains, but I think I will need a bit more info than that.

I just know they are going to look at me like a complete putz if I have no idea of what it is I am looking for Idea

Thanks
Q. ARTORIVS CORVINVS
aka: Phillip Vautour
"Rome is but a wilderness of tigers, and tigers must prey."
<a class="postlink" href="http://rubicon.dyndns.org/legioxxi">http://rubicon.dyndns.org/legioxxi
QVINTVS ARTORIVS CORVINVS\\n[quote]Ok, Before I harass the good women of the local fabric/curtain shop... what exactly are those disks purpose? I know it has Something to do with curtains, but I think I will need a bit more info than that.

I just know they are going to look at me like a complete putz if I have no idea of what it is I am looking for Idea

Thanks[/quote
You will find that these thingumybobs are in fact the bracket embelishments that are fixed to the wall either side of the window frame. The curtains when open are draped back over them or are held with a corded tassled rope. We have simpler ones at home here like oak leaves. I have seen the round ones in B&Q and they were bloody expensive considering we only need the round thingys off them.
My centurio is still trying to bend the will of his wife so he can blow £200 quid on the ones Len Morgan has.
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

Say, I just noticed that there has not been given an answer yet regarding the sources of the Phalerae set.

Maybe the person who made them would be willing to answer your question on here?

It seems a rather unusual combination of stylized and lifelike depictions. We might learn something interesting here!

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
I may have missed this, but what is the average size of the individual discs? I realize there are several styles but can we say the average diameter is:__inches?

3"

5"

?"

Thanks!

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
average size of phalerae is 9 -12 cm, most are about 10 cm diameter like the Nijmegen one, the Xanten one and some others from former Joegoslavia now in several musea in the US.

The set I made for my group is an amalgan with a phalera from Nijmegen (the putto with the grapes and oak leave), the medusa from Xanten, the lion from the monument of Marcus Caelius (legio XIX), the roundels from a monument in Italy and the flowers from a monument in Germany (seen in Bonn). The monuments are all from centuriones and dated between 60 and 100 (except for Marcus). The phalerae from Nijmegen is dated between 70 and 100 and the one from Xanten between 80 and 110.

In production are a bronze (to be silvered) phalera with the head of Diana and two blue glass ones with Tiberius and grandsons and Medusa (both Dutch finds), both fitted in silver.

If anyone has any good pictures of phalerae please be so kind to let me know. I try to write an article on them. Thanks

Good literature is to be found in Valerie Maxfield book.

Maarten
Maarten Dolmans

Marcus Claudius Asclepiades

COHORS XV VOL. C. R.
CLASSIS AUGUSTA GERMANICA

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.paxromana.nl">www.paxromana.nl
Just the information I was looking for -- Thanks Maarten!

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA