RomanArmyTalk
Phalerae - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Phalerae (/showthread.php?tid=11483)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Phalerae - muskitear - 01-11-2008

Awright then. Here we go again.
Dont think no action is taken with regards to my questions.. Things are happening or are going to happen Ref lorica project.
Now I have to make a harness for my Centurio. We got the hamata in hand.
We have to keep it simple guys Ive seen all the pictures and they are really fantastic especially XXVI Legio.
What I need is a back and front view of an undressed harness then a source for the fancy hubcaps and doodads.

Re: Phalerae - jvrjenivs - 01-11-2008

Phalarae by frisius-f (Theo Andela)
[Image: _0123.jpg]

And by antony feldon
[Image: id314_1_b.jpg]

I know the previous set of phalarae of our centurio were actually discs from which were found for 6 euro each at a store which sells curtains and assecoires.

Re: Phalerae - Marcus Mummius - 01-11-2008

Len Morgan makes affordable phalerae. They are made in tinned cupric alloy.
http://www.romanarmy.net/fabrica.htm

Erik Lechl makes the best I've seen until now. They are hand hammered from silver sheet. But they are very expensive (400-585euro a piece).
http://www.replik-online.de/en/index.html

Vale,
Jef

Re: Phalerae - muskitear - 01-11-2008

Cooooo! thanks guys that was quick Big Grin
Has an actual harness ever been found?

Also how does it work. Do I make the back and front to hang over the shoulders with straps to the sides or what?

Re: Phalerae - Marcus Mummius - 01-11-2008

These pictures were posted some time ago by Peronis. I'm sure you can make out the strap arangement from these pictures. Even I can do it and I have the technical insight of a demented parrot.

[Image: DSCF2411.jpg]

[Image: DSCF2412.jpg]

[Image: DSCF2413.jpg]

Vale,

Re: Phalerae - Magnus - 01-11-2008

Great pictures Jef and Ade, thanks for the reference. I hope to try making some out of resin to simulate some of the blue glass phalerae that have been found. The curtain accessories are a fantastic idea too!

Re: Phalerae - Doc - 01-12-2008

Jef,

The phalerae of Erik Konig (I am assuming you are speaking of his work)are made in the correct fashion of using silver sheet in a similar way that the original Lauresfort were made.

However, (IMHO) the price is outrageous considering that although he gets the relief required in the figure, he gets no where near the beauty or the actual detail the Lauresfort images have (at least this is my impression from the photos on his sight). If you just take a look at the original Jupiter Ammond or a reconstruction based on the originals by having a direct cast (as Dan Peterson wears or as is displayed in one of the German museums that at this moment I do not recall) you can see that the details of Jupiter that Erik has leaves lots to be desired. The Medusa is better as are the Satyrs but nothing special especially for that price.

Even the photo posted above of Antony Feldon's Lauresfort with respect
to the Jupiter Ammond is far better.

I am not suggesting that Erik's work is not first rate since it would not be fair considering I admire many of his pieces but not his Lauresfort.

Paolo [/quote]

Re: Phalerae - muskitear - 01-12-2008

Quote:These pictures were posted some time ago by Peronis. I'm sure you can make out the strap arangement from these pictures. Even I can do it and I have the technical insight of a demented parrot.
WOW!!!! Splendid work. The scale armour looks great. Have made leather gauntlets like that...Very time consuming as I remember. Thanks for that.. info.

Re: Phalerae - muskitear - 01-12-2008

Am I to take it, That they dont necessarily have to be faces and plain ones will do. Also, whats the difference?
And where did the discs come from? It looks like I going to be doing some improvising.

Re: Phalerae - Doc - 01-13-2008

Mike,

The disks can be found on the tombstone of Gnaeus Musius, aquilifer of the fourteenth legion GMV.

Paolo

Re: Phalerae - jvrjenivs - 01-13-2008

They're military awards. So you want to let them look awesome. But as said before we've different styles found, as the faces, and also the glass phalerae.

Re: Phalerae - Marcus Mummius - 01-13-2008

Quote:Am I to take it, That they dont necessarily have to be faces and plain ones will do. Also, whats the difference?
And where did the discs come from? It looks like I going to be doing some improvising.

The ones worn by the aquilifer in the pictures I posted were made by Len Morgan.

Vale,

Re: Phalerae - muskitear - 01-13-2008

Quote:Mike,

The disks can be found on the tombstone of Gnaeus Musius, aquilifer of the fourteenth legion GMV.

Paolo
Hey! do think he will mind if I dig 'em off Big Grin D

Re: Phalerae - M. Demetrius - 01-14-2008

Well, he won't but there might be other people who would probably be all up in your face about it.... :wink: :roll:

any cheap phalarae - MartinWard - 01-15-2008

Does anyone know of a supplier of less expensive discs? will deepeeka be making any sets anytime soon?