Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new Gladius Hispaniensis found!
Yes, I measured about the same. Now that's a long short-sword! I knew the Hispaniensis was longer than the later gladii, but 80cm sonds really long to me!
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
This length is perhaps for this reason the Hispaniensis is classed as a spatha in the Miks book. He calls it the Fontilet, although he lumps three distinctive type of blades in the same type. However, the Hispaniensis is not named, the first gladius is the Mainz. When looking at one of the Fontilet types (the one actually found in Fontilet, with scabbard parts preserved), it is clear this sword was definitively meant for stabbing, given the long sharp point characteristic for what we call a Hispaniensis. These swords have little to no waist, as can be seen on the example posted here. For a Republican impression, it could be argued the Fontilet/Hispaniensis is to be prefered.

PS 80 cm is the overall length of this one. Blades for the Fontilet vary, but 60 cm blade and 20 cm tang is normal. The Fontilet I previously posted has these measurements as well and is a very wicked stabbing blade, which does not really "feel" long.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Fantastic - thanks for the image!
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Changeover to Gladius Hispaniensis john m roberts 5 1,833 11-02-2012, 03:04 AM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great
  gladius hispaniensis late republic period Qvintvs 1 1,827 10-08-2011, 06:28 AM
Last Post: Alexand96
  A question regarding the Gladius Hispaniensis Gladius Hispaniensis 3 1,407 07-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Last Post: philsidnell