Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question regarding the Gladius Hispaniensis
Ave
I am currently reading a book that states that the Gladius Hispaniensis was used by the Romans after the Second Punic War. I don't know how accurate that is but if it is true then I wonder what type of sword the Romans used before the Second Punic War. Any input? Thanks in advance.
Cry \'\'\'\'Havoc\'\'\'\', and let slip the dogs of war
Imad
Have a look at an ongoing discussion in Christian's marketplace section:
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=15554

It's entitled 2nd Punic War Project, but there are lots of candidates for earlier Roman swords posted there.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Off the top of my head, I would expect it to be something akin to Greek types, due to the influence of the Greek colonies in the south of the peninsula. So either the straight 'leaf-bladed' hoplite sword, or the recurved 'kopis' or 'machaira' (was it called a falcata in Italy, or was that just Spain?).

Phil
When I say 'leaf-bladed' I may be muddling my terminology. I actually mean the blade is double-edged, straight and symmetrical along it's centreline, but has a slight narrowing 'waist', then broadens out again before tapering to the point. It might be a xiphos in Greek, but I think this was actually a fairly generic term for a straight sword (as opposed to the curved kopis). Like I said, off the top of my head - it's a while since I read up on this specifically.

Phil

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A new Gladius Hispaniensis found! tiberius aemilius naso 17 4,465 07-29-2013, 05:21 PM
Last Post: ParthianBow
  Changeover to Gladius Hispaniensis john m roberts 5 1,777 11-02-2012, 03:04 AM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great
  gladius hispaniensis late republic period Qvintvs 1 1,707 10-08-2011, 06:28 AM
Last Post: Alexand96