Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trying to locate MIA Roman soldier, Kurt Suleski
Quote:I'm not much of a computer guy. How do I make a ULR to view photos. Fred

Hi Fred,

You can make yourself an account on photobucket for example. Here you can upload your pictures. (they even have features to resize your images only to board ready formats). Then there will be a nice ready to copy code ready for every image you uploaded.

To use the attachment service of RAT, you have to resize your images by locally (on your own machine) to less than 800 x 800 px, and upload them again.

Good luck!

If you don't get it sorted out. Send them to me @ jurjend *AT* gmail *DOT* com, and I will upload them for you.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Hi guys,

When Kurt decided to shut his excellent site, he also changed his e-mail address. If you want to know his new address, please, PM me.

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
I do have some great shots from Kingston. They are high res images, so I have to go in and reduce them in size and post some here. Give me a day or so, guys - still have to go to the salt mines, after all.

I like the severed head theory, Randi.
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
Hi Fred,

Quote: Ok Rob, I'm new at this RAT stuff. I went to profile and added my real name. I thought it was a joke because you called me Fred.
No problem, I called you Fred because Randi called you Fred. Big Grin
The thread can remain in place because the subject already changed to ballistas. :wink:

Quote:I'm not much of a computer guy. How do I make a ULR to view photos. Fred
If the pictures are already on a website, the url is the address of where they are, like:
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/images/smi ... iggrin.gif

If not, I'd be happy to host your pictures on a (free) photobucket account: that is a website where you can upload images from your pc to a website (free) and then share them (free) with others by publishing the url of each image.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Gentlemen, I have about 15 pics resized and ready to post. My computer at work is too slow to do that, so I will be putting them up this evening.
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
Thank you Aitor for the info. I sent you a PM. Thanks to you to Rob for the help with the photos. Thanks to Jurjen also for your help with the photos.
(Fred Wojick)
Flavius Octavius Servius
Vexillarius
Legio III
Cyrenaica
Cohors II
Hi guys, I wanted to run something by all of ya I guess. Since we are all brothers of Rome.

Well as you know I made 12' tall Ballista and it throws 3lb. cement round rocks. Going by Vitruvius's tables a 6" hole is used the row a 3lb rock. He called for one solid peice of ash wood at 6" thick 14-1/2" wide. I could not find a piece of ash 14-1/2" wide and 6" thick. I took 6" wide x 3" thick and 14-1/2" long and laminated them (west epoxy system) standing up so the black was 6" thick. They held for a while and then we cranked so power into the bundle and the hole carriers cracked. I bought a nice big of 7" thick red oak. It cost me $200. I left it in the wood shop for 4 months to dry a little and the whole thing cracked like crazy. The whole board was usless. I was talking to a friend of mine who owns the machine shop that does my metal work for my artillary. He says I can keep my old hole carriers and he can attach a 1/2 " of steel plating on both side of each hole carrier and bolt them together and that would hold. I did explaine to him the power of these ballistas. He guarantee's me it will hold up. And it will still have the ash.

So, what do you all think?
(Fred Wojick)
Flavius Octavius Servius
Vexillarius
Legio III
Cyrenaica
Cohors II
Well, I would be pissed of if so many hole carriers would crack... but anyway I think that it will hold nicely if reinforced with steel, metal is always stronger than wood, but remember to attach it to the wood properly. Most commonly the hole carriers crack longitudally according to the structure of the wood, similarily to if you beated it with an axe. Thats why you should put the reinforcing around the hole carriers sides like a belt surrounding it, so that it would hold the wood together and prevent it from expanding and therefore cracking. It is the same technique as in a scorpion's metal reinforcing.

I hope you understand my poor english...
Juuso Laasonen
Yes Juuso, I understand. My friend Kurt built his hole cariers with steel on the edges of the hole carriers and they still cracked. What is your email address and I will send you a picture of the hole carriers. Fred
(Fred Wojick)
Flavius Octavius Servius
Vexillarius
Legio III
Cyrenaica
Cohors II
Fred, I didn't realize your had procured unseasoned wood. I could have warned you to seal the ends of the board to prevent checkering. Arggg.

Here follows some shots of your ballista.
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
Sorry if I do these one at a time. Still not used to posting on this site.
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
More will have to wait for later. I have a new imaging program, and am going insane trying to make this work. Sorry for the delay. Hopefully this will give some idea of the size.
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
Hi Dane,

Why not use photobucket and send us the links? That'll allow for larger images, too. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Well, okay, but I can't get to it this second. And learn it, too. I haven't used that application in ages.
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
The construction of a stone-thrower in itself is a daring enterprise and I truly admire your work. Therefore, I'd wish that you would take the following remarks not as a shameless plug, but rather as what they really are, food for the brain. The more you know, the freer are you to decide :wink:
The ballistae (or palintones, or...) so far reconstructed look like this:
[Image: Fig209a20copiaSML.jpg]
But have you ever thought if they could really have looked like this:
[Image: Fig209b20copiaSML.jpg]
And we all have been relying too heavily on 'magister dixit'? :?
If you want to gather more information and having an artillerymen discussion later, you can download at http://gladius.revistas.csic.es/index.p ... load/47/48 a paper I wrote a few years ago. (In fact, my commiles Iagoba has already posted this link on another thread)8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner