Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FAKE Flavian Helmet....on sale on E-bay..
Quote:I applaud that. Although whether or not Ebay do anything about it is so hit and miss!
They won't. They never did for me, and you get no comment on any action taken, if any, as part of their policy.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:
Libitina:tacoq1k7 Wrote:I applaud that. Although whether or not Ebay do anything about it is so hit and miss!
They won't. They never did for me, and you get no comment on any action taken, if any, as part of their policy.

Yeah as an Ebay seller and buyer I've had to find more sneaky ways to get revenge/justice. The only fakes they watch out for seem to part of a VERO scheme or something, like those funny ugg boots.

Always worth reporting though cos you never know.
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
More info: http://www.romanrelics.com/fakes.htm

What's a VERO scheme?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Not 100% sure but I think big companies like Disney can report unofficial products and have them removed and the seller thrown off Ebay. I don't think such a thing exists for antiques.

Found the link:- http://pages.ebay.co.uk/vero/index.html?_trksid=m40
Kat x

Well it sounds like a threat of going to the press might work, but its a shame for that to be necessary.
Derek D. Estabrook
Quote:Plus they have had the audacity to use a third century dolphin handle on a *supposed* flavian helmet!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's what I have sent the seller...
Quote:Dear seller,

I am amazed that you actually have the gall to sell an obviously FAKE helmet as a real antiquity at such prices.

For a start, you say it is Flavian?? Well how do you explain the third Cemntury dolphin handle on the neck guard? Not only that blatant error, but the handle is also fitted back to front!!

No known flavian iron helmet has ever been found with a crest finial like this. Only copper alloy helmets have this feature.

No iron helmet from the Flavian period or indeed from any imperial period has a two-part neck guard and bowl. They were without exception all hammered from one piece of metal.

I shall be sending a copy of my message to ebay. Frankly I am appalled at the amount of fake antiquities being sold as original items on ebay.

Adrian,

Any response from the seller?

Maius/Bill
Marcus Petronius Maius
LEG XIIII GEMINA COH VI
Peroni wrote:-
Quote:Here's what I have sent the seller...
Quote:
Dear seller,

I am amazed that you actually have the gall to sell an obviously FAKE helmet as a real antiquity at such prices.

For a start, you say it is Flavian?? Well how do you explain the third Cemntury dolphin handle on the neck guard? Not only that blatant error, but the handle is also fitted back to front!!

No known flavian iron helmet has ever been found with a crest finial like this. Only copper alloy helmets have this feature.

No iron helmet from the Flavian period or indeed from any imperial period has a two-part neck guard and bowl. They were without exception all hammered from one piece of metal.

I shall be sending a copy of my message to ebay. Frankly I am appalled at the amount of fake antiquities being sold as original items on ebay.

While applauding your sensibilities and motives ( and a hearty Hear,Hear! from me as well).....is it wise to be "advising" this seller of his errors, so that he can cure them and make his next fake that much more difficult to spot ? I can understand the necessity to advise E-Bay as to why this a fake, but in your shoes I might have restrained myself in writing to the seller, to 'obvious fake' without going into detail.......OTOH, you would be correct to say the information is readily available had the seller been at all bothered about rendering a 'plausible' fake.....
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
The proof is in the pudding..or in this case the bidding. Notice the only bids on this piece are from an anonymous bidder with only one purchase to his credit...clearly this guy is bidding on his own auction.

Alas...where there is light...there are bugs!

Tom
Meus caput capitis est quoque magnus pro meus galea!

Titus Tiberivs Crispvs

Tom Clegg
Des Moines, IA
USA
Quote:The proof is in the pudding..or in this case the bidding. Notice the only bids on this piece are from an anonymous bidder with only one purchase to his credit...clearly this guy is bidding on his own auction.

Alas...where there is light...there are bugs!

Tom

I also wondered if there was shill bidding going on. If he doesnt cancel in the last minutes he'll have some hefty Ebay fees to pay!
Kat x

Well at least its not haunted! Confusedhock:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VERY-OLD-HAUNTED-DO ... dZViewItem
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Confusedhock: OMG. It's the banal setting of Ebay that makes it really scary.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Well at least its not haunted! Confusedhock:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VERY-OLD-HAUNTED-DO ... dZViewItem

Freaky. She's probably a bit narked that she seems to have one leg wrenched at an angle. As delightful as she is I think I'll stick with my Puffalump :? D

EDIT:
Woah, hang on, I need to back up a bit. What are you doing looking for dollys on Ebay? :lol:
Kat x

Quote:EDIT:
Woah, hang on, I need to back up a bit. What are you doing looking for dollys on Ebay? :lol:

To amuse myself I occasionaly "haunt" ebay looking for "haunted" items. I first discovered the rash of haunted items on ebay a few years ago while drifting through the bayonet listings.

I found a bayonet listed as a "Haunted WW1 German Bayonet" used in the trenches to kill innocent people, this blade is tainted by those souls"

To bad the bayonet was made sometime in the 1930s, and it was a Swiss bayonet LOL!

So, when boredom strikes I search ebay for "haunted, possessed and ghost" objects for the humor.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
That's a great way to pass the time PP :lol:

Seen this ?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Some even sell their bodies.....

mmmmhhh! niiice outfit. Camp as a row of tents what?
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

Dying aint much of a living.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Helmet on EBAY, again a fake or not? Luca 3 1,633 04-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Marcus Cassius LegioXIV