Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aquila
Quote: http://stores.ebay.com/FLAGPOLES-ETC_W0 ... QpZ3QQtZkm

They sell some pretty decent stuff in bronze, brass or steel... also have a range of sizes from 15" to 27" tall. Take a look and tell me what you think, as I am considering getting one for my group Legio XXI Rapax.

Their eagles look pretty good to me, but I've some considerations, why I wouldn't take one. As far as I can see all eagles are 'sitting' on a metal rod, attached to a ball, which you can attacht to the flag pole. As far as I know all depictions of legions aquila's are with his foots on the base. On the other side I think those are pretty big for a aquila. If I remember right I've heard of an aquiliver who takes the aquila from to pole and hide it under his tunic. How would you put an 27" aquila under your tunic?
But I've to say that the eagle has his wings up very nicely!
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Great avatar Virilis!!!

Thanks Ivan Big Grin !!

Matt (the beaver-spanker), how on earth you think that I got the money for all my fancy equipment :wink: !!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Hehehehehe!

Legion: TBD
Yesterday our aquila had his first event
[Image: mini-IMG_0913.jpg]

[Image: mini-IMG_0910.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
Jvrjenivs,

How big is that eagle from bottom to top and from wingtip tp wingtip?
SOmehow I always thought it would be bigger...

Thanks,
Q. ARTORIVS CORVINVS
aka: Phillip Vautour
"Rome is but a wilderness of tigers, and tigers must prey."
<a class="postlink" href="http://rubicon.dyndns.org/legioxxi">http://rubicon.dyndns.org/legioxxi
It is approx. 15 cm high and 20 cm with at the wingtips.

As I stated above we've chosen this size because of the story that a aquiliver takes the eagle from the pole to hide it under his tunic. If you take a bigger one, that would become impossible.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:As I stated above we've chosen this size because of the story that a aquiliver takes the eagle from the pole to hide it under his tunic. If you take a bigger one, that would become impossible.

You'd be surprised by what you can hide inside a correctly sized Roman tunic! If you look at the evidence on tunic dimensions available to us I wouldn't think it impossible to hide a small ostrich under one.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
jvrjenivs,

I went downstairs a moment ago and measured my old Boy Scout Eagle and it was about the same size as the one you have!

I thought about using it, but the resultant eyestrain on people trying to see it way up there on a pole might be a bit awkward :lol:

Also I am worried that I might start suffering from some obscure Freudian phobos called "Eagle Envy". :wink:

Seasons Greetings one and all!
Q. ARTORIVS CORVINVS
aka: Phillip Vautour
"Rome is but a wilderness of tigers, and tigers must prey."
<a class="postlink" href="http://rubicon.dyndns.org/legioxxi">http://rubicon.dyndns.org/legioxxi
#Yes, I personally think it should be a little bigger, but still, it is better than no eagle! And yes, a tunic and a cloak or two will hide a multitude of sins... :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I know that correcly sized tunics are very big and a lot can be hide in it. But if you've also armor, phalerae, etc. on your chest that would size the spare room down a lot. You have to save the aquila!
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:I know that correcly sized tunics are very big and a lot can be hide in it. But if you've also armor, phalerae, etc. on your chest that would size the spare room down a lot. You have to save the aquila!

Can you please post a link to the relevant passage that mentions the fact about the aquilifer, Jurjen? Was he indeed armoured?

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Problem is I don't know the source. It was told me by Wim and Gerard.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Problem is I don't know the source. It was told me by Wim and Gerard.

Then I hope one of them will see this and quote the correct source so we can see in what context it was said.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I was just reading 'De randen van de aarde' a book of our Jona, about the Romans in the low countries and I came accross a passage of a soldier who take the aquila from the pole and hide it in his belt.

(I translated the text from Dutch to English myself, so sory for errors)

It is in a passage about the losses in the teutoburger forest under Varus in 9 AD.

Florus, The wars of the Romans (dutch translation has as title: de oorlogen van de Romeinen) 2.30.36-39
Quote:[...]and two eagles are still in the hands of the enemy; the third eagle was taken from the pole, just before the enemy got it, by a standardbearer. He put it down in his belt and hade himself in the red-colored bog.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Is this book also printed in English? Sounds interesting!!!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel