Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmet modifications after Trajan\'s Dacian Campaign
The Theilenhofen helmet makes me wonder, why when they have gone to the trouble of making reinforcing bands for the skull, they would not give it the usual brow band? That would still be an essential piece of protection, to my mind... :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I have some incredibly hi-res shots of the Gallic J and can see no such eyes Jim.
I see the eyes on the Weisbaden instantly! But it looks to be a helmet without cross bracing. Probably why it incurred such a dent in the skull!

No doubt a killer blow, leading to fractured skull and probably death!
Confusedhock: :!:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I have some incredibly hi-res shots of the Gallic J and can see no such eyes Jim.

Must be corrosion mixed with wishful thinking.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I apologize for reviving this old thread but I have recently re-read

Ubl, H.-J. 1975: 'Römische Helme vom Typus Weisenau in Wiener Sammlungen', Römisches Österreich 3, 195-235

which includes drawings of what appears to be a complete helmet from Brigetio (different from the ones in the data base!) which combines "Classic" eyebrows with crossed reinforcements in a way similar to the Berzobis helmet except that in this case the cross bars do not cross over but behind the eyebrows.

Even better, Ubl's drawing includes what looks like studs under each eyebrow which give a distinct eye effect.

I have never seen a photo of this helmet nor have I ever seen it mentioned in any over publication. Ubl has very detailed drawing but I cannot publish them here.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Jens,

This is a very important drawing!

Any chance of a scanned copy by email?? :wink:
I sent it to

[email protected]

I hope that is ok. If you need the complete article, it has roughly 5MB.

BTW, is there any chance of receiving the pic of the Vindolanda crossed reinforcement you wanted to send me back in September 07 Smile
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
I'll send it from my home PC Jens! Sorry, I completely forgot!

Thanks for the Brigetio information. Laudes.

That is a really interesting helmet! Like a Gallic J but with features of later helmets. The three rivets for attaching the cheek guard hinge remind me straight away of the Carnuntum helmet. and the spiked rivets that hold on the cross-bracing appear to be like the later helmets of the Neiderbieber type!
Hello Jens.
Please can i get the drawings, too??? Late helmets with reinforcing bars are very important for me, because my group shows the early 2nd. Century and we have mostly india-helmets that are modified.
Thank you very much Big Grin
Marcus Iulius Chattus

Me that ave been what i´ve been-
Me that ave gone where i´ve gone-
Me that ave seen what i´ve seen-
...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
Just send me your email-address by PM and notify me whether you want the full article (5 MB) or just the Brigetio helmet (1.1 MB).
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
I have Marcus' email and have sent him a copy Jens!
That was quick! Thank you.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
In the words of my son: "Boah, cool".
Thank yo very much Adrian Big Grin
Marcus Iulius Chattus

Me that ave been what i´ve been-
Me that ave gone where i´ve gone-
Me that ave seen what i´ve seen-
...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
Hi Jens

I've just caught up with this. Very interesting! Any chance of also getting a copy of the drawing by email? If OK I'll PM my email address.

Cheers.

Surius Papirius Cursor (Howard Russell)
Spurius Papirius Cursor (Howard Russell)
"Life is still worthwhile if you just smile."
(Turner, Parsons, Chaplin)
Sure. Send me your email address by PM. However, I am currently travelling and may not be able to send this before 11 February.

If you need it more urgently, maybe Peroni or Marcus Ahenobarbus can send you their copy.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Helmet Types for then Dacian Wars? Darrell Hindley 3 395 04-06-2024, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Darrell Hindley
  Need help Identifying helmet on a relief depicting Trajan Corvus 0 207 09-12-2021, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Corvus
  Roman Equipment Modifications in the Desert Renicus Ferrarius 14 4,256 12-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe