Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Celtiberian Warriors Illustration
Ok. Let's see.
The Lliria vases date to a very brief period, at the end of Hannibal's War or the beginning of the 2nd C BC. So they have to be understood in the context of Punic and Roman armies marching North and South during all these decades,; armies full of allied contingents including Iberians and Celtiberians.
Garcia y Bellido, many years ago, first put forward the idea that the warriors in a particular vase -(the specific lebes mentioned by Ebusitanus and Vieira), painted with homogeneous weapons and a peculiar painting pattern on the torso, could in fact be depictions of Romans, although he wrongly believed the vase -and the representation- to be of Augustean date.

In fact, Bellido could be right, in a way. I believe these warriors could perhaps depict 'regular' Iberian troops in Carthaginian or Roman service. We know that Hannibal armed his Italian army with captured Roman weapons, and there is no reason to suppose that Hasdrubal and Mago could have acted differently.
On the other hand, do not be mislead by the peculiar pattern, held by some to represent scale armour or mail. First, there is NOT a SINGLE element of chain mail or scale, in bronze or iron, in over 1000 thousand Iberian and Celtiberian burials containing weapons as grave goods, that I have studied. Not a single element of that type in over 6.200 weapons I have catalogued. Some objects once believed to be mail are in fact feminine objects similar to others in southern Italy, chains, but not mail.

Also, we have to understand the principles behind artistic representation in ancient art. To cut it short, even in the comparatively very detailed Attic Black and Red Figure pottery, the same filling pattern was used by the best painters (such as Euphronius) to represent scale armour in hoplites, the Aegis of Athena (goat skin, but impenetrable) and also the feathered wings of daimones. So, a 'scale' pattern does not necessarily mean 'scale armour' even in Greek Art.

So, we do not know as well as we do in Greece the codes of Iberian painters, but there is no solid reason to identify that same pattern with scale, specially if that type armour is completely unknown from other iconographic, literary and archaeological sources. Same happens with mail, except for some isolated literary references.

To sum up, there is no proof that the Lliria lebes shows scale or mail. On the contrary, there are many reasons to believe it does not. But if it did, it probably depicts veteran Iberians in Carthaginian or Roman service, being a small minority. And, surely, not wearing scale... only mail at most, and I don't really believe it. IF the figures are those of Iberian warriors, it should be much more probable that this pattern represents some sort of quilted armour of felt, leather or any other organic material. But, If we insist in considering it metallic armour (bronze scale, for example) then the warriors are more probably Carthqaginians , Romans or a very scpecial group of Iberians.
I enclose a detail of the Tossal de Liria (Valencia) vase we are discussing. SIP Museum (Valencia).
And finally, and for the benefit of those who can read Spanish, I enclose a text on this subject I published sometime ago within the context of the discussion of the origin and appearance of the oval shield in Iberia:

[i]Reproducimos aquí lo que escribíamos en 1997 y sigue siendo perfectamente válido: “La adscripción cultural de las figuras de guerrero que se reflejan en la cerámica del estilo de Liria depende en gran medida de la datación del mismo, que a su vez depende de la fecha de destrucción del yacimiento epónimo. Tradicionalmente se ha venido aceptando que tal destrucción coincidió con las guerras sertorianas, en torno al año 75 a. C. Si ello fuera cierto, el contexto del armamento empleado en las vasijas pintadas con escenas de guerra y otras de danza o desfile de carácter ritual sería ya romano, y los escudos serían scuta republicanos, como los citados de la Almoina de Valencia.
A. García y Bellido, al estudiar las armas defensivas reflejadas en algunos de los vasos de Liria, llegó a la acertada conclusión de que la lorica squamata que algunos de ellos parecen reflejar, como los escudos y caligae, podrían no ser ibéricas, sino romanas, (García y Bellido, 1943:91 ss.). Por tanto, propuso que las escenas del Vaso de los Guerreros aludían a un momento de las guerras civiles de época de Octavio (42?36 a.C.) o, menos probablemente, a la de Sertorio (c. 82?72 a.C.). De nuevo el contexto del armamento sería romano, ya se trate de un periodo u otro. Sin embargo, recientemente se ha demostrado con sólidos argumentos, basados en paralelismos con el poblado cercano del Puntal dels Llops y en muchos otros motivos, que la destrucción del Tossal de San Miguel no debe datarse, pese a los hallazgos monetales, en el 78?76 a.C., sino a fines del s. III o principios del II a.C. (Bonet y Mata, 1982; Bonet, 1995). Así pues, el estilo de Liria debe datarse a fines del s. III a.C.; pero en todo caso, esto no altera la esencia del argumento de García y Bellido, aunque modificado: las figuras con scuta podrían ser tropas romanas republicanas, cartaginesas o, probablemente, soldados ibéricos al servicio de los cartagineses.

En unos años turbulentos en que ejércitos extranjeros pasaban y repasaban a lo largo de la costa, ora hacia Sagunto, ora hacia Cartagena, no es de extrañar que los artesanos acabaran pintando soldados armados con extrañas corazas y grandes escudos que no supieron interpretar bien, porque eran de reciente introducción en la panoplia indígena para adaptarse a las nuevas y feroces formas de guerra que llevaban a cabo romanos y cartagineses sobre el suelo hispano. De lo dicho se deduce que es mucho más probable que los scuta de Liria, e incluso sus posibles imitaciones en mimbre con tirantes internos, deban atribuirse a tropas extranjeras o ibéricas al servicio de Roma o Cartago, que a la tradicional panoplia ibérica. La propia homogeneidad de la decoración de los escudos de todas las figuras de infantes del vaso 1 de Liria (Apéndice VI) es notable, y podría aludir a algún tipo de identificador de unidad, lo que sería más propio de un ejército muy organizado, no necesariamente extranjero.â€
Hello
Gracias, Fernando, for the extraordinary text (and theory in it).
So you think that those warriors are not Hispanic but foreign (or natives at the service of Foreign armies).
The equipment then represented can be the Hispanic representation (of the artist) of what we "made out" of the foreign equipment; that is, it is a representation of foreign equipment (Roman or Carthaginian); or, to put it in other words, an artist representation of pieces of equipment that he was not familiarised with.
According to this theory how can, then we interpret the body armour? Could it be a scale corselet with pteruges hanging out (like the one that can be seen in some Carthaginians)? And in their feet, nothing more than sandals (like the Roman used)?
It is a very interesting theory.
Many thanks for sharing it with us.
Laudes
Gracias
JP Vieira
Visit my Website at
[url:n6bls2l1]http://ilustro.webs.com/[/url]
No such type of armour was ever found? I mean combining mail and scale armour?
Visit my Website at
In Iberia and Celtiberia, among hundreds of burials with weapons (around 700 burials containing weapons in the Iberian area and another 300 + in the Celtiberian area) not a single scale or ring has been found belonging to either a lorica hamata, squamata or any combination of types.
Not a single iron ring or bronze scale belonging to Iron Age indigenous contexts has been found so far, to the best of my knowledge. A very few bronze scales have been published, all out of archaeological context, and together with Roman-era materials.
Is it a fair assumption to say that the Celtiberians, before the Roman (or cartaginian) contacts did not wear armour (besides the round pectorales).
Were there no contacts between the celts in the peninsula (I assume they had mail armour) and the Celtiberian and/or Iberians?
Gracias Fernando
Visit my Website at

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recreating a Celtiberian Noble III century BC Gundwulf 3 1,615 05-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Caturix
  Celtiberian swords Jesper D 35 17,109 11-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Gobae
  Celtiberian War Trumpets Lugorix 9 3,174 05-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Last Post: ArthuroftheBritons