Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recreating a Celtiberian Noble III century BC
Good morning to everyone,

I want to recreate a Celtiberian Noble for my Celtiberian project. I have searched for a long time and I found many info about this topic, about clothings, decorations and weapons, but they all come from different graves.

My question is: do you have news about a single noble grave from Celtiberian coming from Central Spain?

I am asking it because I prefer recreate my impression taking objects from a single grave, not from multuple graves...

Thank you so much.

Massimiliano Salviati
Massimiliano Salviati

[url:2wmrb1i0]http://www.sippeulfson.it[/url]
I can't help you with the original question but I would love to see more pictures of your impression when you've finished it Smile
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis
Reburrus
Cohors VII Raetorum Equitata (subunit of Legio XI CPF)
vzw Legia
Flanders
I will put photos of my impression on this topic, but first I need some infos Big Grin
Massimiliano Salviati

[url:2wmrb1i0]http://www.sippeulfson.it[/url]
Here is a timeline with some examples of Celtiberian burials, from Lorrio's "Los Celtiberos"

[Image: fig17_600.jpg]

And here the famous depiction of the Numantia's Warriors... quite simple style, but however useful at least for the presence of greaves...

[Image: numancia_detalle_guerreros_ceramica.jpg]

However, if you want to reenact a noble, there are a lot of things to keep in mind:

Metal helmets, are quite rare in burials, but we know the use of modify attic-calcidians (i.e. the famous "stolen helmets").

As far as I know, body armor is absent from burials from III a.C. onward, BUT at Numantia there were findings of bronze buttons that are put in relation with linothorakes.

Even if the round caetra was the most common type of shield, from III a.C. onward we have some findings of umbos "de aletas" for thyreos type shields, maybe introduced by Carthaginans, and we now that for Hannibal, if some Celtiberians fought as Caetrati (lonchophoroi?), other fought as "scutarii", so with long thyreos shield.

However, here on RAT there is Thersites (a.k.a. Fernando Quesada) that can give you surely more details!
Gioal Canestrelli "Caturix"

- www.evropantiqva.org -

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hunnic Noble Unearthed in Budapest on the Danube Flavivs Aetivs 14 3,192 03-29-2014, 01:09 AM
Last Post: Dan D'Silva
  Celtiberian swords Jesper D 35 16,839 11-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Gobae
  Celtiberian War Trumpets Lugorix 9 3,082 05-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Last Post: ArthuroftheBritons