Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbridge A Breastplates - to cross or not cross diagonally?
Barry,

I've gone back and looked at a few of the sources and the posted picture and I'm starting to waiver.

In favour of the significant diagonally overlapping plates; the piccy of Jim's armour reinforces the diagonal cross as if they were forced vertical the neck opening would close up and be useless. Also looking at the original drawings (attcahed) it is quite clear that the rear shoulder plate has diagonal hinge mounting yet all other plates (moving forward) have perpendicular mountings hence the front chest plates will cross diagonally (although this will be offset slightly as the rear shoulder plate does not sit vertically agaisnt your back.

In favour of a minor diagonal overlap of the plates; The lack of wear previously stated (typically I can't find the source of this). Also the fact that the plates on the Newstead Pattern armour are most definitely mounted vertically, lends weight to a continuation of design feature.

Having said this all this is hypothetical as what is important is to cut the plates accurately to a credible pattern and assemble them follwing the original. Plate position will derive from this.

Having made my own seg. A couploe of pointers; A cardboard mock up is a must. Tailor the Girdle plates individually and over your full underkit Tunics, Subarmalis etc. Finally make sur the pointed shoulder sections (if you make them with a point) faces in to the neck (in common with many other people I followed the Robinson Drawing and not the original find). Cry
Mark Downes/Mummius

Cent Gittus, COH X. LEG XX. VV. Deva Victrix

Messages In This Thread
Re: Corbridge A Breastplates - to cross or not cross diagonally? - by Marcus Caecilius Avitus - 06-19-2007, 01:19 PM
lorica - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-19-2007, 10:23 PM
lorica seg - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Re: lorica seg - by Matt Lukes - 06-22-2007, 12:03 AM
corbridge A - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Re: corbridge A - by Matt Lukes - 06-26-2007, 08:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards brennivs - tony drake 7 2,545 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Blade Cross Sections and Designs Pointer 10 2,325 09-02-2014, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Augustus Janus
  Lower cross hanger under plate, designs? Titus Marius Secundus 7 2,826 12-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Crispvs